Chattanooga is devistated need help

There was a poster on here the other day who claimed he could do multipule jobs a day he would be good to get!

I would imagine that storm work sometimes might require some advanced skills in handling a chainsaw, heavy weight in binds, higher than usual off the ground cutting with the trees resting on something, that sort of thing. I suspect that being careful is common.

In reality it's usually a bunch of people with limited chainsaw experience tackling a lot of downed trees and turning them into broccoli stems with stubs sticking out everywhere, then they throw it all in a big pile that cannot be handled with anything other than a big machine or a match.

We sent two of our climber's to help a friend in Birmingham for a couple of weeks. He is swamped and asked for help. They arrived yesterday. One of them is on this site, new guy Mike (sappy1), and will be sending me lot's of pic's.

That describes our SES/State Emergency Service perfectly, they might get a tree off a house but the mess they leave behind takes three times as long to clean up than if the owner had called a decent tree service in the first place.:(

Last edited:
Jerry, I've got a fellow here supposed to call you tonight/whenever - his name's Pat. He's a good treeman.

Yeah... Why'd it have to happen in the Spring when eveybody's starting to get busy again! Willie: Send Joe out there. He's always up for adventure, and I doubt if Clarence has much right now...

I hate making money on regular folks misfortunes. It has to be done. I get busy when we have wind storm. I don't get rich. I think I must be allergic to getting rich.

I love an opportunity to help people;)
And the best help that arborists can give is to document damage to structures and get tree repair and stormproofing/pruning covered in the insurance claims.

i called, left you a message and didnt here back, so i figure you've now got it covered,
i am scheduling work here now
hope all goes well for ya
if you are still burried, i may still be able to leave and have my new climber do jobs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"And the best help that arborists can give is to document damage to structures and get tree repair and stormproofing/pruning covered in the insurance claims"

Im good with that part - Thattree guy thnks for your call .
McCauley tree serv.- ill be calling Monday
Butch - i spoke with Pat .

Thanx yall - we are getting it done .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with Butch - storm clean up in my city will be hot for 4 weeks tops - but normal tree work will be full time for at least 6 months .
Today i was okd 40k in insurance claims and that on a sunday - im just hoping i get umm all done .
We got a few extra men on board now so if anyone heads my way they will get a phone number only to a person with a tree on their house - i cant float the bill for more than 40k of work and we have nearly surpassed that - thank goodness several have already payed .
Also there is work from here for 150 miles south south west .
Im suprised i havent seen bigger outfits - tomorrow im contacting guffrie cranes and proably buying a new unit .
Its alot of money to me so any suggestions or advice would be appreciated .
All i want is a small unit - a 17 ton sngle axle - the reason being is we can drive it closer to the trees and chattanooga has very short trees - we max out at 80 feet tall .
They want 105k for new unit - id rather go used but im gonna have to finance and new gear is way easier to finance .
It will be the very first piece of tree equ i ever financed so i dont feel to bad .
Yall let me know if you think its a bad idea .

Good move on the crane. I've only heard of one treeguy ever that had one then sold it without buying another.

Have saw will drive

;)I have saws, ropes, pickup, can climb and rig and have worked with cranes. Is there still a need? Can come this week.

So when you guys are all done - You heading my way to help with the 10 I have down in the yard? That area of Tn. North GA corner got hit hard.

Back