Champion Trees

gf beranek

Old Schooler
I posted these pics in Mario's thread about his up coming Art Show in Crescent City. But that really wasn't the proper place to post the pics, as it started a derail to Mario's post. And many people here would miss seeing the pics of these trees altogether. So here they are, fresh, in a new post all their own. Terri and I found them in Prairie Creek last year. Within a stones throw from a trail there, but you can not see these trees from that trail. Walk right by them and never know they were there. All because the understory along the trail blocks the view. Like not seeing the elephant in the room.

DSC04235 r.jpg DSC04224r.jpg

So cool they are so close yet hidden from view. The fire damage adds to their awesomeness!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In deed, Cory. I walked by them in the early 70's, and many times since, But didn't see them until 2014. Go figure. To say the least I was thrilled.

Glorious looking redwoods. Extra elements I like in the photos are the layers of background trunks in the first, and the bigleaf maple in the second. Pretty nice when there's enough space to get some composition going too.

Although, I am trending to leaving more up to this one man John Montague from Arcata, to find a lot down the line. Lately I'm thinking of spending more time doing photography. And John is really gung-ho. He's pretty good at measuring. He met Michael Taylor, who taught him some advanced measuring. John is actually into professional videography / film production, and I think some game stuff. He funds some of Taylor's drone projects too. John volunteers at Save the Redwoods league.

lol ... he only photographs with an I-phone though. Hasn't caught the bug for photography, but did catch the bug for giant and awesome trees.

You aint lived till you've seen the Redwoods!!!!!

Where these trees passed over during the logging years? Or was this a protected site? Did they grow that large in the interim between? Outlaws are fascinating to me, even up here. Those are amazing trees!

Every once in awhile I'll find a monstrous White Pine in the bogs and valley swamps, and you can almost hear the old timers jiggling the change in their pockets trying to work out how to lay it over and get it out. . . But nobody ever did. 8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those trees are in Prairie Creek. Protected and comfy as they can be. Their only demise will come when they pull their roots in a storm and shatter into tooth-pics.

Yep.
Those trees are probably bringing in more revenue for the North Coast now than they would have, had they been logged.
We are talking MAJOR tourist attraction here!

Nice ones !!! , off the trail , walked right by them many times almost fifty years ago and didn't see them .... a metaphor in there somewhere

Back