chainsaw scabbards

Back when I used to work out of a bucket a little bit, I never had this problem. Does it happen because you don't use the chain brake and just let the scabbard stop the chain for you? If so, why not just use the chain brake or the branch to stop the chain?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even with the chain stopped, it will still cut the scabbard every time a sharp tooth contacts the side of the scabbard when putting the saw into or removing it from the scabbard. If you only do it for a short period of time then you may not notice the wear. But after several years you begin to notice that scabbards don't last a long time.

Why not just construct the whole scabbard from the cutting board material?

UHMW is best as inserts for abrasion resistance, it's hard to efficently make it into shapes without just milling a billet. Another application it's used in is the wear pucks in my lift's boom.

I have made them out of plywood. You can measure their lifespan in weeks instead of months.

But I'd already said that, more or less. I would be repeating myself. Plus, I like to use a minimum number of wurdz.

Butch, your idea would cause damage to the dielectric liner as well as the fiberglass bucket. I'm sure you're aware that chainsaw chain cuts on the sides as well as the top. And buckets aren't cheap to repair or replace (mine was $1300).

Sure, you can get away with it short term, just like the plywood scabbard. But for long term use something better is required.

MSC is a pretty good supplier; I just don't think of them since I don't have an account there.

I think a plywood one would last if it were well made out of exterior plywood with exterior adhesive and screws, maybe with a nylon inset at the mouth to take the wear when inserting.

Tig welded aluminum is another possibility.....?

Used fire hose (strong sh@t!) from your local station makes a decent scabbard for chainsaws, but probably not good for the bucket one...too much hassle to stick in.

I'm sorry Jay but you're about the 5th one to suggest plywood already. And as far as the nylon inserts, that's kinda what I'm working on. ;)

I guess I need to take some exact measurements and figure out exactly how much wear material I need for each scabbard so I can figure out what sizes would be most economical. I wasn't expecting the material to be so pricey, figured I'd just buy a few big sheets and cut off what I needed. But it looks like I'll have to be very careful to minimize waste.

Andrew, still want me to rebuild those 20 scabbards for you? 8)

Back