Do you use a chainsaw lanyard?

• Yes

Votes: 27 87.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I just got received my 46" lanyard and it's way too short! I don't get it other then it's supposed to be attached to the same side you are dominant handed, which I don't do. I mean, I'm right handed but I hook my saw on my left side. No way that short bastard will be long enough for me to do my business. WTF? :what:

When I first started I never had one. Now I have a couple of the bungee type. Works well for me the majority of the time. I am right hand dominant and keep the saw on my right side.

Butch. I also hang the saw on the left and am righthanded.I make my lanyards out of 5/16ths or 3/8ths hollowbraid polypropylene. Fast and easy to make and cheap so I shed no tears if I nick one.

Do you incorporate a weak point in the system Justin? Like use a cheapo keychain biner or something?

MB, I suppose attached two of them together would work real well? What about using a loopie?

46" is to short? how long are your arms? rare occasion ill unclip it from the back and throw it on a d ring

I use the bungee lanyard and love it! Once in a great while I can reach further than it can, but it's not often, and it clears me if I drop the saw!

If it's just a few inches too short, extend it with one of these. I'm sure you already have one or two.

0898212_01.gif

I bought one a few weeks ago, but I haven't bothered to try it yet. I've never used a lanyard on a chainsaw (and the last time I dropped one from a tree was around 1980). I too am right handed and clip my chainsaw on the left, hand saw on the right. Maybe I'll try it out now and see how it works, if I can find it. :)

I don't get it other then it's supposed to be attached to the same side you are dominant handed, which I don't do. I mean, I'm right handed but I hook my saw on my left side.

Thats the problem!

They arent designed for the crossover length.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That would mean mean shifting everything from one side to the other. Dunno about THAT! :what:

I have one that's about 48", no bungee that Nick made. I hook it in the middle and have clips on both side for my saw. Mostly it lives on the right, but I flip flop depending.

Yeah, I know some people that attach the end to the middle back of their saddle, and the big ring to their left side. Then they just bring it around to their right while using it.

... I rock it on the right myself, but I agree that you can sometimes outreach those lanyards, which is a pain. Not enough of a pain for me to quit using them though. I love em.

When I first started I never had one. Now I have a couple of the bungee type. Works well for me the majority of the time. I am right hand dominant and keep the saw on my right side.

Me too.

Handsaw and chainsaw on right side. Lanyard on the left.

I know its a personal preference, but I never understood why one would carry on their left if they are right handed. To have to make the crossover everytime seems asinine. I can retrieve my saw one handed without looking, reach over with my left and pull it started. Then shut it down, and hang it up with the same hand. Only needing my left for starting, and cutting. If I one hand it, I only need my left for starting.

Aside from that I like to keep my "sharps" separated from the "softs". Hence the reason my lanyard doesnt mingle with my chainsaw or handsaw. Ive seen guys who mingle the 2 and there lanyard is always nicked and picked to death.

The ones I get from Baileys are long enough, but I don't get the bungee type.. has a clip, loop and shortening ring.. I can Left or right no matter what side I clip it on. I think its like 50 inch or something.. But I just a lil sucka... LOL

Do you have a Samson Supply or Farm Suppy in your area? I bought a 1" x 60" Nylon strap & use as a lanyard . Both ends have a 4" loop sewn into for easy use. I just let the saw hang. If that dosen't work for you, buy a 2" solid steel ring at same store . Tie it into the strap at the middle , using a clove-hitch for whatever length suits your needs . Then put the ring on your left side snap. This will shorten the hanging length, when moving around in the tree ! Too Simple ! The x-tra length you wished for !:D:D:D

I use the multi saw lanyard. It can be swapped out between saws with the push of a button.

Old fashioned service w/ instructions in chinese !

Attachments

• MB's New Lanyard  60 inch X 1 inch  & 2 solid steel ring.jpg
    MB's New Lanyard 60 inch X 1 inch & 2 solid steel ring.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 13
Back