Chainsaw Lanyard Mod !Pics!

I've said this before.
Not using a saw lanyard is disrespectful of your groundies life.IMO

I speak from experience. I did ground work for a guy who accidentally dropped his t200.
I hit the road about 3 feet behind me, and disintegrated.

:\:

As we all know, nothing is certain in this biz...even tool lanyards. I dropped a BT45 about 70 feet, and never knew it 'til I heard the young woman grounding for me holler, "Did you mean to drop that??". It was on a self-tied webbing lanyard that somehow came un-tied. It was hanging just below my feet, not running, and I was ascending on spurs. She was out from under the tree, as taught by your's truly...thank goodness for that, would have killed her dead as a stone had it hit her.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a Petzl Caritool on my Sequoia, for the 200T. It's on the standard bungee tearaway saw lanyard, with two rings, short and long. Short ring goes on the Caritool, long ring goes on an aluminum wiregate biner near and to the rear of it.

Very similar here too. The only difference is that I have only one ring on the lanyard, the short one.
I like Caritool, really handy.

I use a Caritool with a breakaway lanyard for quick attachment, more permanent attachment with the end ring through a biner behind. I don't like having the gate on the caritool for the saw, but it's as far as I have progressed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great Responses, I will have to look into the caritools..

Some notes:

The gate on the short connection biner on mine usually ends up facing inwards on my saddle. The hinge is always on the down side which in my opinion would make it rather difficult for rigging to get caught in it, the rope would have to travel up towards me and into the biners gate.

As far as those that leave it hanging long, I do not do that so much because the saw bangs around alot. If I am just pausing for a second i hang the saw running off the ring on my cougar with the non-locker, otherwise shut it off. My saw hangs low enough off this ring that i feel comfortable leaving it running for short periods of time if just giving the groundies time to clean. There are a few marks on the back of my saddle on the padding where the muffler has touched and melted it a bit but it doesn't seem alarming; the structural components are wide and high, far above where the saw hangs.

To the complaints about those little flat hooks, with the rings, found on lots of saddles. Those are primarily why I added a standard biner, the ease of clipping makes a huge difference to me as the day goes on, I really prefer it!

I would like to add that the part of the lanyard under the non-locker where i folded the webbing over and taped it; thats a huge help. The rigidity really helps and is a comfort when trying to unclip/clip it while cross armed, behind your back, or otherwise inconvenienced. Also If i do leave it hanging long the lanyard hangs totally straight from me to the saw with this section sticking out at a right angle, before I did that the carabiner would lay flat with the lanyard and was difficult to clip or grab. Now at all times the biner is facing the right way and is easily accessible.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I don't use a lanyard

Then, there's always the reverse of that. I can't see why anyone has to be in my Drop Zone at all. When they just HAVE to be there, I tell them to keep an eye on me the entire time. I call that being in the Dead Zone.

I think it's awesome how we all have our own little system to get trees on the ground and make a buck. A million ways to skin a cat!! I just try to reduce risk in every possible way I can.

I use a 3 stand lanyard that I made. It's basically like the one pictured in the beginning of the thread. Works great for me. One of my pet peeves is whem people don't have their saws hung up on their saddles. Just the other day my partner was letting his dangle below and some how it came off his saddle and fell about 40 feet to the ground. Lucky it was a Stihl 192t, because it survived the fall without even turning off. It never would have fallen off if it was hung up on his saddle in the first place.

i made my lanyard by pulling the core out of some 5/16ths double braid from west marine. then i replaced the core with some surgical tubing, sewed a tight eye on the saw end, then a ring for hanging the saw short off the caritool on my saddle, then a trigger snap to attach to the gear loop on the saddle. i consider it a breakaway as the bs on the brass trigger snap is somewhere around 200 lbs, i put a screw locking biner in the tight eye and clip that to the saw ring, the biner will also fit the handles on the larger saws (im not going to do that anymore due to wear and tear on the handles). ill try to remember to take a picture. oh yeah, i always hang my saw close, mostly out of habit from working in oaks and cypress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had an 029 hooked with a large biner around the trigger handle... I slid it off my lap, holding the lanyard as i lowered it to hang it off my saddle. The small drop it took, 6" or so, snapped the handle right off and the saw plummeted 40'!

Now i use a ladderhook attached to the handlebar for anything bigger than my trim saw.

this is my lanyard. the snap connects to the gear loop on my saddle. nice thing is, the snap is just the right size so you can clip it directly to the climbline to bring the saw up or send it down.
Santa Cruz-20120121-00213.jpg Santa Cruz-20120121-00216.jpg Santa Cruz-20120121-00215.jpg

Back