Chainsaw dawgs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those Dawgs come out nice .... the Game Of Logging instructor claims they are unneccesary ....I disagree!

Thank you!

One of the the guys i used to work for he was an older guy and i looked at his saws one day and they didnt have any dawgs on them. I asked him why and he said they wear out your saw and the saw should do the work cutting. But i think in some situations you need them...

Made dogs for the 090. Had a guy trace, scan and email me a actual size dog from his saw that has some damn agressive teeth on his. 4" grinder, cutoff wheel and some 1/8" stainless. Just sat at the bench and carved'em out, even got paid to do it... heh

I used a cut off wheel called a razor blade. .045" cuts it like butter. Used some TapMagic® cutting oil on the holes.

dogs look nice, now you need to try em out to see if they work8) my 200s leak like that

Those Dawgs come out nice .... the Game Of Logging instructor claims they are unneccesary ....I disagree!

I agree with your disagreement.:) I'm not worried about loosing an inch or so of bar length. I want the saw to dig in and not slide around on the front of the case. You may not need dogs on a 16" bar, but it takes a lot of leverage to swing a long bar through the wood, as most of us know.

But i think in some situations you need them...

In timber, you always need them. That's what they're for. It's like a car with no seats. Yeah, it'll run and get you there, but seats are an important part of the equation.

Thank you!

One of the the guys i used to work for he was an older guy and i looked at his saws one day and they didnt have any dawgs on them. I asked him why and he said they wear out your saw and the saw should do the work cutting. But i think in some situations you need them...

In ALL situations you need them. That guy you used to work for has an insane membrane.

All large dog sets limit the cut length...yours no worse than any other.

The small teeth between the large teeth are just for looks...they'll never engage, I don't believe :).

Unless the stock is quite heavy, the thinness of the upper tooth and the depth of the gullet at the lowest tooth are going to make those two particularly susceptible to bending.

But props to you for giving it a go, and heck...try 'em out for a while, they may do just fine for your needs!

All large dog sets limit the cut length...yours no worse than any other.

The small teeth between the large teeth are just for looks...they'll never engage, I don't believe :).

Unless the stock is quite heavy, the thinness of the upper tooth and the depth of the gullet at the lowest tooth are going to make those two particularly susceptible to bending.

But props to you for giving it a go, and heck...try 'em out for a while, they may do just fine for your needs!

Yea i put the tooth in the middle just for looks... The top and bottom will bend over time, i will just have to be gentle with it.

Thanks! nick

On big saws/wood it's nice to have the dawgs i think, but on small saws like a Hva 346xp or it's equals (non) it's just in the way i think !

Yea i put the tooth in the middle just for looks... The top and bottom will bend over time, i will just have to be gentle with it.

Thanks! nick

You could install a Stihl chain catcher in the lower teeth and that'd reinforce them. Bendig dogs ain't all bad. If your dogs are too strong, the weak link becomes the saw, either the case on the inner set, or the cover on the outter. You see alot of 44/46/66's with the inner, top bolt hole broken. That's from letting the chain catch in the cut, and pull the saw into the tree, hitting the lower edge of the dogs, and the saw "giving" before the dogs do. The factory Stihl dogs will bend before the saw breaks...at least they're supposed to.

That said, I use the big aftermarket West Coast dogs on all my saws...even my 361.

I need a set of those for my 066 also ... so I am thinkin..
I really liked your dogs Nick... I just wished they had worked for you ... maybe some heavier stock ? But I pretty much just buy the stuff not fab it ;)

I need a set of those for my 066 also ... so I am thinkin..
I really liked your dogs Nick... I just wished they had worked for you ... maybe some heavier stock ? But I pretty much just buy the stuff not fab it ;)

If it was thicker they would work great!

It would be nice if i could find some 1/8" stainless... I'll see if lowes or home depot has some..

The dogs i made now i cut out with a dremle, so if you have a dremle you could make them..

Thanks nick

Back