Certified Arb question

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
For those that are an ISA CA, did it improve business for you? I want to know if you saw a measurable difference at the years end. I honestly don't care in the least if I have the title after my name. However, I'm curious about the idea that maybe it opens up more doors......?

If you wish to pursue government work or huge commercial/industrial contracts, then those people want to see a title after the bossman's name (even if the grunts doing the cutting don't know shit). But for an owner/operator situation there's really no advantage. I used to use the title Certified Arborist when I was certified, now I just call myself an arborist. A lot of people just assume I'm certified and I don't try to correct them. I've never had anybody ask me for proof of my certification.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im just trying to figure out if it suits my business in any way. I pride myself on putting wood on the ground, and i know that being a CA will never factor into that ability. Although a lot of people believe it does. I just am curious as to what doors that title opens. Thank you for the insight Brian.

It only helps your business if you market it. It is worth doing if you put it in your phone book and business cards, bid forms etc. It will if you try, then you can educate people about arborists and the ISA and create value for yourself. Over night, the phone is not going to be different.

i dont own the business, but i am a certified arborist and we sell to a clientele who want/expect that. i have definitely been on jobs where being certified made a difference, but, like willie said, we sell it. im not on the sales side of the buisness tho, so i cant say how much of a difference it makes. we do have a pretty well educated public around here tho.

It only helps your business if you market it. It is worth doing if you put it in your phone book and business cards, bid forms etc. It will if you try, then you can educate people about arborists and the ISA and create value for yourself. Over night, the phone is not going to be different.

Of course. You make good points. You seem to feel that with long term marketing, it brings you positive results?

The public around here is far from educated. I don't believe many of them could spell certified.

It really doesn't cost much to become certified. If you get one job a year because of it, its pays for itself. As a certified arborist, it pisses me off when guys around here call themselves arborist. Around here, those guys are a bunch of know nothing ass hats. Brian, please don't think I'm implying anything more than calling out my competitors here. I take alot of pride being a certified arborist and the title gets me a lot of business. The "arborist"around here still top trees because that how they are supposed to be pruned.

Being certified doesn't make a good arborist, but it will add to the credibility of the good ones.

for report writing around here many cities and such require the CA status, now some require also the tree risk assessor status, I have both, I do a few reports a year, pays for my certs and such, not too much more. I guess if I pushed it a bit I could make more with them but I keep busy with my other pursuits.

Then I think you have a good market for it, get the cert and push it, it will set you apart and bring you the clientele that you seem to want and enjoy working with. You won't feel any smarter when the certificate comes but if you ever stop trying to learn you will fall behind. I have said it before and it is still true, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. Never ending learning

It helps me because the university arborists get asked who to call often, and they will recommend only certified arborists.

I think it depends on your area. And the focus of your business. I agree with everything stated above. If you don't market it on a huge scale then people will not understand the difference in you and the hacks.

When I got mine and people asked me what was involved in obtaining certification, I mistakenly told them oh it was just a small test only took an hour or so. I revamped my statement after I realized that all the knowledge that helped me breeze thru the test had come from years of field experience and lots of reading.

I get that same question too. I usually say something about no real formal schooling but otj training, classes, seminars, testing and continuing education.

Not to sound like a prick, but i pull just the opposite approach. It rarely happens, but now and again, I bid a removal. I'll get asked at the estimate if I'm a certified arborist. I'll say no. Then i get told that so and so was there to bid the removal yesterday, and they made it clear they were certified. I then ask the customer what that certification lends to the removal. They never answer. That's not me knocking certified arbs, more like me defending my own capabilities. I think I'm going to go and test for it.

In the market here it makes a huge difference. Many people call that are looking for certified arborists only. Chris, it will only open more doors and make you more money.

It has made me more money, without a doubt. The folks who refer me value it. It got me on the City's list which makes me money. It's been a good thing all around.

Go for it! My recent climber Pat just passed his test. I've been certified for 15 years, and have had several CA's work for me off and on. Any knowledge you pick up is a good thing, and many consumers know to ask if you're certified. Maybe, you'll see more preservation jobs.....

We will see. Two customers have asked in the last 6 years. I'll test.

I have had only one customer in five years ask. As a matter of fact, I have had several people tell me that I gave them more information than the CA that was there an hour ago for the same estimate. I would like to test, but currently do not see the need. I still read go to seminars and educate myself as much as I have time to.

It surely won't hurt your business and imho, it can only help. We get one particular job that requires the certification to the tune of $50,000.00 a year. Just last week we got a call from a lawyer needing a report from a CA. The CA we employ negotiated a deal with us where he gets a percentage of his fee.
If you decide to test and want it to benefit you, you will need to market the certification. Let the governmental agencies know as soon as you pass!

I've been asked by the county government here to write reports for tree removal also, and one insurance company requested a report on why a tree failed. It's deffinatly increased my business for government work. And like the Island girl said, let the government agencies know. Tree and mangrove work for residential clients has also increased.

Back