Can someone explain how this works?

tpcollins

TreeHouser
Hate to be a pest but I have a question about the Samson Splicing Instructions. Near the bottom of -

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Learning-Center/Splicing-Department-1922#grizzly - in the "16 Strand Class 1 eye Spice",
I'm having trouble understanding step 3 - "pull out the core yarns from the end of the rope back to Mark C.

I don't see how the core gets back into the braid in the eye. Seems to me this will leave an eye made with just the braid and no core. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

It doesn't. In 16 strand ropes (with the exception of Yale's hydraulically buried Machine Assisted XTC splice) there is no core in the eye.

Pull the strands out at C, bury the cover tail from B to D, then taper the crossover.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys, so the 16 strand braid only in the eye is still stronger than a figure 8 knot, works for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Nick, how in hell did you get a million plus posts? That's 80 posts a day, every day for 34 years!

What Nick said. In 16 strand ropes all the strength is in the cover anyways.

I'd be curious to see break test results on the core.
Most of the strength is in the cover, but if memory serves right, (Sherrill or WesSpur catalogue) eye-spliced Arbormaster is around 25% less than the rated MBS for the unspliced rope. A knot would achieve that?

Pelorus- I think there's some confusion. A spliced 16 strand, done decently would approach 100% possible breaking strength of the rope. A figure 8 on a bight wouldn't be able to defeat the splice.

love
nick

Pelorus- I think there's some confusion. A spliced 16 strand, done decently would approach 100% possible breaking strength of the rope. A figure 8 on a bight wouldn't be able to defeat the splice.
love
nick

I appreciate that clarification, Nick.
In the 2013 WesSpur catalog, page7, Arbormaster is listed at only 6500 lb tensile, vs. 8100 lb most other sources. I inquired about that at Expo and was told that the 6500lb. figure was for a spliced termination. Can't remember who I talked to about that though.

Dave

WesSpur used to list it at the 8100 rating..Wonder why they changed it other than to just set it at the splice rating for the liability.
Arbormaster is some tough stuff.

I bet money that person misunderstood what was going on

I looked on the website and you're right- even there it's listed as 6500lbs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389934025.864784.jpg

My guess is that Samson changed the formula on the rope.

Samson used to be woven more loosely than other companies' 16 strand rope. A looser rope will have straighter fibers and yield a higher breaking strength in the new rope. And looser ropes weigh less, have less fibers in them and can be cheaper as a result

However, tighter ropes are more chafe resistant, last longer, and retain more strength later in the life of the rope. They are a little heavier, and a little more costly

I had always referred to Arbormaster as a sucker's rope. People standing in the store sees the tags and think, "cheaper, stronger, and lighter?- heck yeah arbor master!!!" But your better bet would be Yale XTC or New England braided safety blue....at the time.

So here we are and now all of a sudden Samson has a weaker rope. Anyone have an old Sherrill catalog where we could compare the weight/100' to see if that also changed?

If someone (or everyone) texts me a reminder tomorrow, I'll call Samson and see what changed.

love
nick

Back