Bucking issues

i think a key ingredient in handling trees is to maintain a 'monolith' of 1 not multiple, 'shifting plates';
so none can bind against the other; in felling, bucking, climbing etc. cuts.

@treespyder whereabouts?

Sorry, Sunny Central Florida these Live Oaks reign supreme to me.
i think everyone should have a fave local max tree that the other lessers are ordered as rated against and compared pros/cons to broader powerband of familiarity of more tangible linking fabric between the sub species.
Then handle that tree, to where it 'falls' on that scale.
we sometimes put wood splitter in a pit to roll larges to and not lift;
running rented splitter thru the nights in shifts over cheap weekend rental deal..

I've seen a limb move in two different directions after cutting off a heavy end.
The end weight that was exerting a load of top tension is now gone, ping, pop, went as expected...then I start cutting off the remainder in manageable chunks.
Cut down from the top and the chunk actually moves UP a bit before gravity takes over and down it goes. It caught me by surprise the first couple of times, then it made sense. Its spent how many years in tension, and now, you've just whacked all that weight off, forces and fibres are adjusting in real time.
The branch can also pop and crack in the middle as the work progresses, that scared the shit out of me the first time it happened and I was tied into it.
So taking your saw out and reaming a bit gives that bit of space for the fibres to move without pinching your saw.

Dried out cherry is hard but green relatively soft .The last few weeks I must have cut up 120 plus feet of wind blows .Just to exercise one of the Partner P-100's I used it but that was like shooting rats with a 12 gauge .I mean WTH 99 cc's and over 6.5 HP .,walk in the park .I did run into problems with a few wind blown bass wood which is also green and a soft wood .Those using an 024 Stihl with RS chain would jamb up because of the fines of dust .I found a wedge hammered in allowed it to clean out better .It would do it on that "fence post cut " as well as on the ground .I might add neither one of those trees are the best fire wood but they do produce heat , it just takes more of them .BTW we had some nasty straight line winds this late spring and early summer .

Attachments

• DSCN1159[1].JPG
    DSCN1159[1].JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
Back