Big bucks...I mean really big bucks

Yup, the size stuff we deal with isn't all that difficult with a wedge. Burnham's comment about the log twisting and pinching in spite of a wedge when dealing with bucking 40' lengths of fat log makes me realize just how little experience I have. :O

I don't know on the wedges .I just always thumped in steel spiltting wedges in with an 8 pound hammer .

On a large log two on the side and one in the top . No big deal they usually aren't that large any way .

I rarely "drive" a wedge when bucking, if i use one i just push it in as a place holder, that way i'm not creating a new bind where theres still wood holding. Makes sense in my mind:dur:

Several things you will eventually do .Rock a chain ,put a chain on backwards and hang up a saw . If you get real good at it you might even hang two saws in the same log .:lol:

Several things you will eventually do .Rock a chain ,put a chain on backwards and hang up a saw . If you get real good at it you might even hang two saws in the same log .:lol:

...then rock out the third saw and put the replacement chain on backwards and pour oil in the gas tank.:|:

If you take off the powerhead on a pinched saw, you usually can take out the bar. Its usually just the chain that is pinched. It always kills me seeing someone trying to cut a saw lose with its powerhead still on and in such a way that when its released it will fall.

Sounds like plenty of experience here.HAHAHA I love the ole oil in the gas tank trick.Done it more than I want to say

Or break a chain in the cut and then put a new chain in that same cut... :)

If you take off the powerhead on a pinched saw, you usually can take out the bar. Its usually just the chain that is pinched. It always kills me seeing someone trying to cut a saw lose with its powerhead still on and in such a way that when its released it will fall.

Cutting a friend out in the bush when I was but a wee youth once I told him not to worry about the powerhead, no problem. I somehow ended up as things let loose 'cutting' his saw with mine and cracked the case. I split the cost with him of having a new half put on.:cry:

Yes to wedges I would say.

When I am bucking large wood I always have some within reach.

To cut I usually will start on top and cut about 1/3 to 1/2 deep, then draw the bar out at full speed just before the tip exits the cut, I will angle the bar downward and plunge all the way thru leaving a strip of holding wood in the center, then cut all the way to the bottom. Once thru the bottom, bring the bar back up and cut thru the holding strap left in the center.

It sounds like a lot of work and maybe unnecessary, but it works really well. With some practice you'll hardly ever get the bar stuck. I use the technique almost anytime I buck logs larger than 30".

This is the way of ways.....

I had two saws stuck fifty feet up a tree once...a hemlock with three stems all twisted around each other. I learned to be a little more careful with those after that.

Back