Brand new Arborist Apps available now

SteveBullman

TreeHouser
Introducing ArboristApps

Brand new for 2012

Arbtalk is proud to announce its new site ArboristApps and the launch of 2 brand new smartphone apps on sale today in the Appstore and Android Marketplace.

Arborist knots app and Tree Fungi ID app are smartphone versions of the popular Arbtalk knot and fungi galleries. These apps bring you all the features of the online versions plus more, with a fantastic new design and user friendly interface. The team has been working tirelessly on these new features for the best part of 8 months and after lots of re-workings/revisions, and general bug fixes are really happy with the final products which are now ready for public release.

Our apps give you a fantastic reference point right in your pocket, and as they require no mobile phone reception, our apps will work regardless of wherever you are...in fact all they require is that you own either an iPhone, iPad or Android(coming soon) handset!

Our knot app features 50 knots, covering everything from climbing friction hitches to heavy duty rigging knots, whilst the fungi gallery contains nearly 100 different fungi, including all the common ones you are likely to encounter as an arborist plus many more besides.......all this in your pocket for just £2.99 per app, cheaper than any ident book and far more convenient!

Visit www.arboristapps.co.uk for further information

Like ArboristApps on Facebook

Agree!!! The Fungi App looks absolutely great. It would be impressive to be seen using an app to assist in fungi identification. ;)

Not sure, though, I could let anyone see me using my phone to check my knots ... that'd have to be a closet app, :/: fer sher :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure, though, I could let anyone see me using my phone to check my knots ... that'd have to be a closet app, :/: fer sher :lol:

The knot app isnt actually for using, its just for showing other people how cool your knot app is :)

Nice work, Steve!

Just bought & downloaded the Fungi App (android tablet). Nice work - looking forward to putting it to use. :)

However, there seems to be an issue with the tablet rotation algorithm. Each page is available only in portrait view. When a close-up appears, it displays in landscape. If the tablet is rotated to view the close-up, the view automatically reverts back to the page in portrait view. There seems to be no way to view the close-up properly oriented in the landscape view.

Is this a development bug or is there some setting that must be changed to view image correctly? What am I doing wrong? :|:

Thanks,
Jack

Steve, I put a link to your fungi app on a little cactus & fungi forum here so if you find some Aussies lurking around over there it's my fault.:)

Steve, I put a link to your fungi app on a little cactus & fungi forum here so if you find some Aussies lurking around over there it's my fault.:)

Aha....I read your post but couldnt work out who it was. Thanks mate, greatly appreciated :)

I've used it a few times now. I really like it. It's a convenient way for me to learn. I'm treating it like flash cards right now.

I do have a few gripes: My only major gripe is that the font is too spazzy and hard to read. It looks neat, but it's distracting. And the wood-like back ground blends in with the text.

The other thing is that it needs more content. Can there be a way to upload new fungi? How great would that be?! If I find a fungus that isn't in the app, I upload a pic and it gets added!

I'm sure you looked at leaf snap. What is the likelihood of having that "take a pic and get the ID" functionality one day?

The search by color feature is perfect! I don't know squat about this topic, so searching by name is worthless to me (so far). But I can sure look t something and go, "thats red!"

Finally, there are only about 40 trees in the host species list, almost none of which live in Los Angeles. How do we change that? The concept of searching by host species is amazing. We arborists may not be great at IDing fungus, but we do know our trees!

Already a 5 star app. I can't wait to see future improvements!!

love
nick

I've used it a few times now. I really like it. It's a convenient way for me to learn. I'm treating it like flash cards right now.

I do have a few gripes: My only major gripe is that the font is too spazzy and hard to read. It looks neat, but it's distracting. And the wood-like back ground blends in with the text.

The other thing is that it needs more content. Can there be a way to upload new fungi? How great would that be?! If I find a fungus that isn't in the app, I upload a pic and it gets added!

I'm sure you looked at leaf snap. What is the likelihood of having that "take a pic and get the ID" functionality one day?

The search by color feature is perfect! I don't know squat about this topic, so searching by name is worthless to me (so far). But I can sure look t something and go, "thats red!"

Finally, there are only about 40 trees in the host species list, almost none of which live in Los Angeles. How do we change that? The concept of searching by host species is amazing. We arborists may not be great at IDing fungus, but we do know our trees!

Already a 5 star app. I can't wait to see future improvements!!

love
nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the very useful feedback....

The font, yes its a bit quirky. It took me a while to decide wether to keep this or not but in the end I kept it because it gives the app a fresh and fun feel. You are the only person so far who has commented on the text being hard to read against the background. I wonder if its worth fiddling with the brightness setting on your phone to see if it makes any difference?

Davids constantly on the case with the fungi and will be uploading content as he comes across it. Every image used in the app is entirely original material so it doesnt happen overnight. We do however already have quite a few images that are waiting to be added to the existing galleries, and a few new fungi too. Certainly in the case of the UK, I believe all the main ones are covered. As the images are all original as i said before, its highly probably that there may be some fungi your side of the pond that are considered very common that we simply dont have over here to photograph.....We appreciate anyone emailing us with fungi they think should most definetly be included! There will never be a feature for people to upload their own images. The big thing about this app is that we strive to make all the info 100% accurate...opening it up for everyone to post images would lose this, and turn it into a wiki like app littered with inaccurate info........Any images people do want to donate to the app can also be submitted by email though, and after positive id would be added.

Leaf snap is interesting for sure, and it would be fantastic to be able to do this. I dont personally think the tech is quite there yet though. I've heard mixed reviews about the software, and bearing in mind we'd be talking about scanning 3d objects rather than a 2d leaf, i really dont think we are there yet.

Our main priority for the host species was getting all the main trees in there. More can and will be added, and these will probably be dictated to by what fungi are added...ie, if we add a fungi which has an associated with a fungus not on the list, we'll look at adding the tree also. How far this goes is another matter though...we could end up with hundreds of trees if we didnt limit it somewhat. I'd be interested to know what the common trees you work on in your area are Nick, although I can't see us going too far down the exotic species list at this stage.

Thanks again!

Back