Brand new Arborist Apps available now

Lemme clarify one thing: I didn't mean that users (who may be fungi-dummies like myself) shouldn't be able to upload info to the app. I'd like the ability to upload the info to YOU. Then you guys could verify the info in whatever way you normally would, then once it is ready, add it officially to the app.

You had made a comment, "...in the case of the UK, all the main [trees] are covered."

I think that is my main point. Right now you've made a phenomenal app that works best for people in your area. But the app will be best (in my opinion) when it applies to the world. It was put out in an international market, after all.

You're right about the leaf snap idea. And really, leaf snap doesn't work that reliably. The app is great the way you've created it.

The list of trees I commonly deal with would probably double your list! But you're right, a lot of them would be considered tropical or semi tropical, when compared to the trees in your region. I'm looking out the window right now and I see melaleuca, jacaranda, tabebeuia, ficus and a magnolia.

Maybe just put a "submit a fungus" link in the app and it just opens up the camera then automatically puts it into an email or a form on the app. No book could ever contain every fungus. But an app very well....could.

I guess I'm all excited because it's a topic I know I'm stupid in and I want to learn more about. I've yet to watch a presentation that was engaging and memorable. The books tend to be too text heavy. This app has the PERFECT amount of info combined with great pics and great search features. You can tell it was made FOR arborists.

I want to reiterate: this is the BEST app I've installed in quite some time (and I'm sort of an app-phile). I'm just throwing out ideas to make it better to me. I'm just being greedy!

You're right about the font, too. It's fine. I was just being whiny.

love
nick

I guess I'm all excited because it's a topic I know I'm stupid in and I want to learn more about. I've yet to watch a presentation that was engaging and memorable. The books tend to be too text heavy. This app has the PERFECT amount of info combined with great pics and great search features. You can tell it was made FOR arborists.

I want to reiterate: this is the BEST app I've installed in quite some time ...

+1 - Well said, Nick! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lemme clarify one thing: I didn't mean that users (who may be fungi-dummies like myself) shouldn't be able to upload info to the app. I'd like the ability to upload the info to YOU. Then you guys could verify the info in whatever way you normally would, then once it is ready, add it officially to the app.

You had made a comment, "...in the case of the UK, all the main [trees] are covered."

I think that is my main point. Right now you've made a phenomenal app that works best for people in your area. But the app will be best (in my opinion) when it applies to the world. It was put out in an international market, after all.

You're right about the leaf snap idea. And really, leaf snap doesn't work that reliably. The app is great the way you've created it.

The list of trees I commonly deal with would probably double your list! But you're right, a lot of them would be considered tropical or semi tropical, when compared to the trees in your region. I'm looking out the window right now and I see melaleuca, jacaranda, tabebeuia, ficus and a magnolia.

Maybe just put a "submit a fungus" link in the app and it just opens up the camera then automatically puts it into an email or a form on the app. No book could ever contain every fungus. But an app very well....could.

I want to reiterate: this is the BEST app I've installed in quite some time (and I'm sort of an app-phile). I'm just throwing out ideas to make it better to me. I'm just being greedy!

You're right about the font, too. It's fine. I was just being whiny.

love
nick

Good points again.

I will speak with the fun-guy master about researching the US species further and we'll see if we can make it more comprehensive asap.

Really like the submit fungus idea opening up the camera. My only concern with this would be the quality of the camera. All the images currently used are high quality....I think the sort of images we would be sent from a camera phone generally wouldnt be up to standards unless the lighting etc happened to be spot on. Still not ruling it out though, but for now the only option is by submitting fungi through email externally of the app itself. I could make this clearer though on the website I guess.

Interesting you say the app has the perfect amount of info. I've received a few comments from people who think there should be more info for each app, although these comments are typically from people who are more knowledgable on fungi anyway, whereas the aim of the app is not to confuse people, just provide straight forward, simple and accurate info. We may expand on the info for some of the fungi though.

Glad you're loving the app despite the few niggles :)

The iphone version works great on the ipad. I had a good play with it and theres no issues even though we didnt do an ipad specific version. I was led to believe the ipad may distort it but it doesnt...the app retains its dimensions

...I think the sort of images we would be sent from a camera phone generally wouldnt be up to standards

Nowadays the pics from the iPhone and iPad are down right amazing. On the app they'd never be seen bigger than 6"x9" (approx size of iPad). We have a pic in my mother in laws office that is from an iPhone blown up to about 40x40 and it looks great.

love
nick

Nowadays the pics from the iPhone and iPad are down right amazing. On the app they'd never be seen bigger than 6"x9" (approx size of iPad). We have a pic in my mother in laws office that is from an iPhone blown up to about 40x40 and it looks great.

love
nick

This is true Nick....but also you have to consider that many people just can't take a good photo. You could stick a $1000 camera in the hands of 2 different people shooting the exact same image and get 2 entirely different results.

Still think its a great idea though and have already mentioned it to the developer.

I did have a bit of a glitch (xoom) the other day but things have been hectic a few days. I will explore more today I think

Asmuch as it sucks you can just toss crummy images. Maybe with a feel good message saying you are a sucky photographer, take some lessons and try again

Just seems to hesitate to change pages, the color chart doesn't seem to work when you pick a color and then will choose a random color( I think), pictures sometimes zoom, sometimes don't, they turn 90 degrees (not a problem, just thought it may help discern the issues) and then don't like to back out full screen.

Asmuch as it sucks you can just toss crummy images. Maybe with a feel good message saying you are a sucky photographer, take some lessons and try again

That would be awesome!!

"I'm sorry, but you should stick to cutting trees. Your photography skills are lacking. OK CANCEL"

love
nick

I'm trying to find these on the Android Market. and I can't. Tried "Knots" and "Arborist".

Frax, click on the android link on www.arboristapps.co.uk

the apps are actually in google play, not the market place. As I understand it google have recently changed over to google play, so if your phone isnt displaying a google play icon perhaps you need to update the phone? The link on arboristapps should hopefully sort that out for you though

Just seems to hesitate to change pages, the color chart doesn't seem to work when you pick a color and then will choose a random color( I think), pictures sometimes zoom, sometimes don't, they turn 90 degrees (not a problem, just thought it may help discern the issues) and then don't like to back out full screen.

Willie, there seems to be a few issues that are being bought up relating to tablets, the problem being the apps were design for android handsets and not tablets....the same as the iphone version. As it happens the iphone versions work in ipads fine.

Im a little confused by your description though regarding the zoom. There is no zoom facility on any of the images so im not entirely sure what you mean by this. The only way to enlarge images is by rotating the sreen

The pictures rotate, enlarge and often will not let me back out... I didn't buy it for my phone so i'm not sure what each function is supposed to do

Back