Bird Watching!

Down near Richmond on the James River is a Great Blue Heron rookery. Been lucky to have been there in the Spring when there are thousands of them nesting.

A little OT, but some of you might like Bird Note. It's an audio segment a couple minutes long that plays on a local college station. It's kind of a discount syndicated show, but it's pretty interesting with articles on birds that generally feature what they sound like. It's US centric, but other areas popup every so often.

Thx for the link. Btw, how is that off topic?

I could count the wild owls I've seen in my life on one hand. Seeing a snowy owl would be fantastic.

I've seen a far number of barred owls around here over the years.

I've seen exactly one Great Horned Owl in my life, up high in a huge hemlock tree out in the boondocks.

I'm trying to find the owl I got real close to years ago, but time has faded my memory. It was big, and feathered kind of like a great horned, but I don't remember seeing horns. I'm thinking it was a barred owl with especially dark plumage. I was within grabbing range, and walked around him and checked him out for a few minutes before I got back to work. He never budged.

85971-original-145.jpg

Back