Any bird hunters?

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 59
  • Views 5K
A beagle will trail anything that runs from it . In Alabama they used to use them to sniff out deer and because they can't run real fast they couldn't catch a deer in a million years .

A rabbit runs in a circle and normally spends its entire lifetime in an area less than a half a square mile .Some thought the beagle ran the rabbit in that circle but that's not the case .

Brittiny spaniels will also tackle just about anything that walks ,crawls or flies excellant hunters .Old Lance my friends male is a slow learner though .A porcupine in Michagan got him twice while hunting grouse . He finally saw the light .

I have a big Irish setter. Absolutely superb pointers, flushers and retrievers.
Have a wonderful nature and personality aswell.

Yeah, if you're shooting seagulls! :P

Having said that, I have a big black labrador who is frightened of chickens...

I hunt upland game. I was going to go this morning for Ruffed Grouse. But my wife has a paper do today. So i have to watch seth He is only 4 so no he can't go. Here is my dog a Irish setter. he is 1 1/2 years old now and this will be his first year out. I got him when he was 6 mouths old and last year ran out of time to take him out.

Attachments

• DSC_0675.jpg
    DSC_0675.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 27
The place i got Killian had about 50 females and 40 males. So hopefully not to much in breading. She hunts with about 1/3 of then the rest of then she races then as sled dogs.I for one did not know you could use then as sled dogs. And the place where we got are husky(thunder) races her dogs to. I live in Wi for all my life and never new there was such a big fulling for sled racing her. So the only dog we have with out racing in her blood is are luna are pug.

That is a beautiful Setter. Unfortunately, the only ones I have had personal contact with were nervous highstrung little pussies. Nice to see one that breaks that mold.

That is a beautiful Setter. Unfortunately, the only ones I have had personal contact with were nervous highstrung little pussies. Nice to see one that breaks that mold.

Mostly through bad inbreeding to create a narrow head. My setter is the most chilled out character you would ever meet.

Grouse (Ruffed and Blues), Ducks, and Turkeys here... I have yet to hunt pheasants...

My Chocolate Lab is gettin' pretty old. I might try to take him grouse hunting this year. Prolly not ducks... but we'll see.

I got my shotgun out the other day and he almost lost his mind... if he sees waders or a shotgun... he's ready to go!

Funny that he can tell the difference between a shotgun and a rifle. When I get my rifles out... he could care less... :)

Gary

It is very noticeable in the pictures. I wider face and possibly wider through the chest as well. Much better looking than the ones I have seen here in the States.

Will be beating on local (pheasant shooting) estate again from the end of the month (as often as I can get).

Ben our old gloden retriever is a great dog, Toby our young lab will need another year yet but has a fantastic nose on him!

Attachments

• DSC00486.JPG
    DSC00486.JPG
    503.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00487.JPG
    DSC00487.JPG
    733.5 KB · Views: 8
For the most part he is mellow. His dad was white patched with deep chestnut color.
Thor dose your dog have the raise bone at the back of the head? like a racing fin!
when i got him i wonted something different then a lab. i have 6 of them get dogs. The last lab (BoB) i had caught 6 musk rats and 2 mink when out trapping.
My wife said no to a springer spaniel.

I'm Am going out next weak saturday.

. The last lab (BoB) i had caught 6 musk rats and 2 mink when out trapping.
My wife said no to a springer spaniel.

Springers are born killers .A lab is big lap dog .It is also the only breed of dog I ever saw that took pleasure in swiming in water in northern Ohio in December .They just aint right .:lol:

Goin pheasant hunting this year? I miss hunting them. I tried raising them a couple years, but it seemed like I was feeding the fox and coyotes. We were loaded with them in the '60s. They used to stock some, but we had a lot of wild hatch, and not many fox and no coyotes.

Pheasant season opens next weekend. I havent planned much for chasing the ring necks this year. I came into a new place to bow hunt for whitetail up north and have been planning to spend much time doing that this year. The place Im hunting is loaded full of Grouse, you can hear them drumming all day long. Probably give my Springers the chance to run a few down.

They are a challenge to hit. I have only flushed one. I was a kid and it flushed in the thickets. My Dad asked me why I didn't shoot. I told him I couldn't tell if it was a hen or a rooster. He neglected to tell me it didn't matter.

I take care of the forest on a hunting estate here.
They release about 9-10000 ringnecked pheasants a year.
Not much of a challenge in those.

We hit a nest mowing a hay field years ago. The hen was killed but most of the eggs were OK. I had a Bantam hen that had been sitting on eggs that were never going to hatch. I pitched her eggs and replaced them with the pheasant eggs. She hatched and raised 6 pheasants. They were free ranging from the beginning and turned out pretty smart. I did shoot one that fall. Think it was the last pheasant I got. Seems to me that it was a good way to raise pheasants.

Back