Any bird hunters?

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 59
  • Views 5K
Pheasants can be tough to raise. They can become cannibalistic. Its common. Plus, to raise good hunting birds, they have to have flight room in their pen. Otherwise, they just become runners. A guy I know raises a few hundred each year and he has had some tough years.

On a different note. Ruffed grouse season starts here in a week. This is my german shorthairs first season. I am excited.

The trick to avoid cannibalism is to make sure that they have cover and hiding places in the pens.

We cut a lot of x-mas trees that failed to make the grade for selling every year for the gamekeepers, to put in the pens.

We are talking BIG pens here, several thousand bird to the pen.

They used to cut the tip of the beaks off so they couldn't chew down on each other, but that was outlawed about 10 years ago.

Right after they release the 10000 birds, it feels like you can't go anywhere without stepping on a semi-tame pheasant.

I've known loggers who would bring a sack, and fill it with hand caught birds every day, untill the freezer was full.

You would be fired if caught doing that, of course.
Which might be the origin of the expression " being sacked";)

Sortakindamaybenot...

Teh Interwebs said:
It comes from the time when tradesmen carried all their worldly goods and tools around in a sack.You could say they were of no fixed abode, so if they were employed in a certain building they were able to leave their sack in a safe place, probably equivalent to the boss's office nowadays. If at the end of the day they did good work they were allowed to pick up their own sack, however if the boss was not pleased with their work, or felt they had not done a fair days work for a fair days wage then the boss waited for them to finish for the day and literally 'gave them the sack'.Whether the boss was generous enough to give them any leaving pay was up to him.

Actually, your thinking made sense, so I had to research it. I like knowing the origins of sayings, kinda like a hobby of mine.

There won't be any migratory birds commin' down to the gulf this winter. We hatch 'em in the N. of Canada, and you want to cover 'em in oil in the Gulf in the winter.

We sent the geese a memo, tellin' 'em to avoid the trip this fall!

We used to have great migritory bird hunting. The drought years and the DNR changed all that. Now all we see is white fronted, snow geese and sandhill cranes. The Canada geese are 20-30 miles east of us now! There were about 10,000 geese in the field just wesyt of my place this AM. Noisy, and they fed there until noon.

Back