Bird Watching!

c3fc45fb83eb2a99af69997702de7d58.jpg

Man, Butch, those are wonderful!
I'll be having a fun times trying to name all those birdies:)

Nice.
That is one Americam woodpecker that I for some reason never have seen.

I've seen ones that look like that at my house. I've also seen much bigger ones. They used to drill on the side of the house were I grew up.

When I was a boy, they were tearing up the trees around the house and Dad paid me a small bounty for everyone I'd pick off. Those were different times.

One of these woodpeckers likes to work on the Chestnut next to the shop. Perhaps a similar species to what you have, Stig? This one is indigenous to our region, however.

Attachments

• 1f2d5b62aff5ea2bbcba26d0d49be887.jpg
    1f2d5b62aff5ea2bbcba26d0d49be887.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 26
Come for a visit, Stig. Be almost assured of being able to add the downy to your life list, as we have them with regularity around our place. You have seen the hairy woodpecker, I assume?

Here's a new one for us, just in the last few weeks we've had at least one pair of mountain chickadees using our sunflower seed feeders.

Always had plenty of chestnut-backed and black-capped chickadees as resident/nesters, but these mountains are out of their regular range, though not by a huge amount. Pretty little things like all the chickadee species, and hard to get a good look at because they don't ever stop moving, so took us a few days to nail them down...a new bird on our lists, both life and here on our acreage.

Yessir, Jim. Fairly common in the high elevations of the Cascades and Rockies to the east of my place, but never seen them here at 1500 feet in the west side Cascade foothills before now.

Jay, that one looks like a cousin of the European green woodpecker.

I have not seen the Red-cockaded, the Nuttal's, the Black backed 3 toed woodpeckers, apart from that I've seen all the American ones.

I looked in the wrong book of notes, turns out I saw a female downy in Orick, CA 18/1/1982 on a cloudy day.

Haven't seen the Ivory billed either, but then neither has anyone else for quite a while.

We have a ton of the normal brown chickadees at work. They like to eat up the spilled grain near the grain bins. They are the plumpest chickadees I've ever seen. If I set really still in the Jeep at lunch, they will fly in the open door and perch on the seat and look around. They will also get under the Jeep and peck the crap out of the exhaust system for some reason. You can almost feel it moving it gets so intense. Almost like a Hitchcock movie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kinda sucks, everyone but me has seen a Robin this spring. They are swarming like the chickadees that Dave has over in Mass, in the next town over.

Really like it when they come back.

Two weeks after the Robins show up the Meadowlarks come back.

Despite the warm winter, so far nothing has come back here.
I keep looking for Lapwings, Shelducks and those other early heralds of spring.
So far no luck.

I expect they will all be there soon, Jim. We have robins, meadowlarks, mountain bluebirds and I just saw a pair of killdeer.

Red Wings have been the sign of spring for me here since I was a kid. They have been back for two weeks. I get kind of tired of the Robins songs and I used to wish we had Baltimore Orioles more, till we had a bunch. They get repetitious.

Back