Bill's Husky 372

Yep I was just posing a hypothetical question about that thing blowing the seal .Additionaly some info on sealed high speed bearing applications I added just for a back ground on my idea . Actually I don't know if my idea has a thing to do with it or not ,stab in the dark .:)

Brian.
You put grease on the seal. I think that is what Al is referring to.
If it was in between lip and shoulder of seal it might have some effect, not sure if it is enough to make a difference...
Perhaps a tiny bit of crap caught the grease as it dropped on the bench, but should not be too bad that either...
I don't think crank is bent enough to cause this either. Not this fast.. If so it would be possible to spot by eye...
I would do it again as I said before. It is not the end of the world to mount it twice... Perhaps you find the problem in the processes...

Had a funny one today, a 357 that could not stop spinning the chain.
It was assembled wrong at some point and the drum put preassure on the gear. This cased it to create a lot of heat.
Heat, plastic and pressure made it change shape and get too close to seal...

Replaced seal and gear. Put it back together and it works like new.

I wasn't infering the thing was assembled wrong .It's just a mystery it blowed the seal and there has to be a reason .

If it's any consulation I have an 038 Mag under the bench that is a seal blower .Why I have no idea .The last time it blew it out metal ring and all .I red loctited that SOB ,now we'll see what happens by George .:what:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well nobody snuck into my shop and filled the crank bearings with grease. In fact there is absolutely no way to even do that unless you split the case and packed the bearings by hand, or pulled out the seals and tried to pack the bearings from one side with grease. The tiny little bit of grease I put on the seal never made it into the bearing so your hypothesis is completely out in left field. The only possible reason I could think of that you might be pursuing this faulty line of reasoning would be if you thought I packed the bearing full of grease under the new seal, which is ridiculous since the main bearing is lubricated by the two cycle fuel mix. So I'm beginning to take this a bit personally. :what:

If it were assembled wrong it would not surprice me at all.
It is a bit tricky to get it right the first times.

My money is the stuff outside seal rather than seal and crank.

Al, I appreciate you taking the time to hypothesize on possible causes. The thing folks need to remember is there are a lot of us that read these threads and sometimes do not have a decent clue about what could be going on. Putting forth possible numbskull scenarios that might be a factor helps those of us with less know-how than Brian.

Some of this kind of stuff I read over, eyes glaze over because I don't have a frame of reference...I have never torn down a saw. But, I can generalize the specifics of what you say to get an idea of how these things can work.

So, thanks...from me anyway...and to you, too, Magnus and the other postulators...y'all have a lot of knowledge and I appreciate you being there to tap into. (I think there are other guys/gals out there who watch and process these saw fix-it ramblings like I do, too)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gary, there is no possible way for the crank bearings to be packed with grease unless somebody goes through a lot of trouble to intentionally pack them with grease. Al was suggesting that I might have done that (there's no other possible explanation) and I've stated several times that I did not. Your appreciation for discussion of completely impossible situations and causes is noted. :roll:

Just so you guys check. I bought 2 crankcase halves with new bearings already installed one. They were packed with grease. I removed what I could before assembly of seals and case, then put together and used mix in crankcase and turned by hand till I was satisfied with everything being ready to go.

I know nothing or any experience with the blowing of seal out type stuff. But I do like people ideas being thrown out there, because I really want to know what going on with this one.

Thanks, Kevin...I would have assumed they were supposed to be packed in grease...my general experience with bearings (usually wheel) is that grease is right...apparently not so with saw crank bearings.

Well okay since I'm over my little pout let me rephrase things .

Let it be fully understood I mean nothing derogarory about how the seal was installed .I use a little grease or oil on a q-tip myself but I'm not saying that's the only method that would work .

B had a liberal amount of grease on the seal .My question was posed as a question if in fact that amount of grease could blow a seal not to be taken that it did or that he in fact packed it like a wheel bearing .If taken that way it certainly was not meant to be .

I don't know what blew the seal but every action has a reaction and if this one could be figured out it might save someone else a lot of anquish in a similar situation .:)

Lets quit beating a dead saw. That saw lasted me almost 5 years so it served its intended purpose.

Bill...we do forensics on stumps all the time. Your saw is providing some great exchanges and learning...just think of it as a cadaver that medical science is getting use out of.

Except here it is some grease monkeys, saw runners and curious folks that are gathered around the dissection table.:)

And yours might even come back to life....Frankinsaw!!!

Lets quit beating a dead saw. That saw lasted me almost 5 years so it served its intended purpose.

Dude that's what chainsaw repair is all about. Bring saws from the dead.

You ought to see the stuff people has brought back from the grave over and over. Your saw will run again, trust me. Heck it was still a young one. We just want to know why and that is hard to do without the saw in your hands checking things.

Just a few dead ones lately that all run again. Built from piece by piece. Had 2 crankcase halves to start with.

Frosh362xp005.jpg

Tree won, found setting on a guys shelf.

CopyofDSCF0058.jpg

Both of them now. Had sound trouble on 362xp video.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HsfKQxs6KZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gD3rBS2SM8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't let the saws beat me, I get physically ill...
They sit there on the bench grinning at me, saying "Ha, Sucker"...

I beat them 999 times of 1000.... Out of pure spite!

I've never had one beat me, annoy me yes .

Now granted some might sit for a long time before the parts come around but in a given amount of time they do .

Back