Big poplar wreck

Nah, they were black cottonwood, I'm quite sure...just simple ones with no huge branches and complex branch structure but more single straight stemmed all the way up. Routine, compared to a typical big cottonwood.

How large was the $20k sequoia you guys did? You've prolly seen my images....... I should have charged more...crane bill for just the stick was about $5500...... 10.5 foot on the butt, 158' tall, 70+ yards of chips, two full log truck loads of wood....

I have to go bid a 4.5 dbh redwood for a tree service bud. He says the limbs are 45 feet long..... that can happen with an open grown redwood... Hope there's enough space for a crane.

I'm pissed and bummed that Image Crane has sworn off tree work...love that 38 tonner rear mount with 128 ft of main boom...and they just got a clone, but rated at 50 tons.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157624162999759/

I just saw a stone dead DED killed elm. Left a note, saying they were infecting other trees by letting it stand.
And that Urban Hardwoods might pay a lot for the wood...... It would be damn near a log truck load...would require pole to pole line drop...just service lines only, to a couple houses. Doubt they'll call me, but I'd bid it at about $7000. Iff the power co wouldn't play ball, I'd bid $15k, easy.....as there would be no bucket or crane access.

We will be removing at least one of four elms for an old client; the second is suspect. Tree Solutions is testing them. Historic district of Seattle, hoop jump permitting..... 1.5 hr street closure required to crane the wood. $4000, maybe 4k for the stone dead elm....

It was probably about 11 feet on the flush-cut, but only about five feet DBH. (You know how those pigs flare out on the ass-end), but it was huge. I think it was only about 120', but it had like nine tops, cause it had been topped like 20 years ago. I dunno, it was one of my first jobs with Davey, so they would only let me do ground work, cause they didn't even know that I could climb yet. Scott Claggett climbed it, and I ran all his ropes. Pretty fun as far as the ground goes. Beautiful pig.

Yeah, I've done a couple of those Elms for Seattle City Lights. Those things started pealing huge leads off early this summer for some reason. Dave at Urban Hardwoods will give you a pretty penny for the ass end of em.

Hey Reg: Thanks very much for the poplar vid. It was interesting seeing you "double-roll" chunks out of that pig. By that I mean a 450 degree flip. Haven't used that one in some time myself, mostly because I suck at it. I've had some nasty bounces that way, so I stick to 270 degree flops, or else firewood chunks.

Oh, thank you very much also for the Treestuff interview. You seem like an incredibly humble, honest and authentic fellow. Hang in there mate: we're all getting older and more and more injured. We all worship you anyways! Also: thanks for the youtube tip... could use the chance to buy myself some precious time when I'm on bed-time duty as well! :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, thank you very much also for the Treestuff interview. You seem like an incredibly humble, honest and authentic fellow. Hang in there mate:
that's why I've got no money, but thanks Jed:thumbup:

Back