Big cottonwood!

The ones in these parts are also most of the time .They will get bigger than a red oak given enough time . When they fail they will take a house clear down to the foundation .We're talking maybe 15 tons tipping over .Not good .

We did about 15 big'uns for Parks. Roger might be familiar with Lake Sammamish. They'd been topped 30 years ago, and still around 130'+. One that was about 6-7' diameter had a 4-6" shell. Coulda felled it with an MS 150. Somehow it held up with a full, solid trunk starting at about 60', and full crown above it...somehow.

We had a big trackhoe to deal with that mess, and a lot of dump trucking.

They get fairly big here, over 100' and 4' plus stem.

Did two reasonable sized ones last week, not huge but in tiny gardens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 78
Did you climb it?

IF that was directed this way, no. My supervisor bombed what he could from the bucket, removing some of the width of the the crown and some weight. Then a piece of 1/2" amsteel, a hydraulic winch, and right-pedal-power.

I wraptored up 2 more behemoths to set a pull line in each, and many that were just wedge overs.

No way Sean! I think I know the very pig you guys took out! Yeah, that was a pig if it's the one I'm thinking of. The only thing that's throwing me is the bucket truck thing. The one I'm thinking of is right between the parking lot and the water on the east end of Lake Sammamish State Park. Maybe I got the wrong tree. Seems like the pig I saw was getting well past five feet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We did about 15 big'uns for Parks. Roger might be familiar with Lake Sammamish. They'd been topped 30 years ago, and still around 130'+. One that was about 6-7' diameter had a 4-6" shell. Coulda felled it with an MS 150. Somehow it held up with a full, solid trunk starting at about 60', and full crown above it...somehow.

We had a big trackhoe to deal with that mess, and a lot of dump trucking.

Wicked, Sean!!

I woke up at 3 am.... after hitting the sack way early for a change, and finally got to editing the cottonwood footage. Enjoy! Watch on Youtube in HD and full screen of course!

http://youtu.be/7mPdPdFtfdQ

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7mPdPdFtfdQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big cottonwood Rog. Video shows it better I thought. Thanks for posting. That was a brave move hanging the big top.

My remark wasnt meant in a rude way. His style is a bit different then my own, but maybe my style would spook him.

Pat wouldn't mind, Tucker.... He does have some almost inhuman looking back muscles......But if you really wanna see a high stylin' white guy..even down to the hair and wrinkles, look for footage of me...there's some out there......:lol:

I've invited him here, but it may not happen. He's busy enough as it is.... cept the next 9 days,as he's enroute to Moab as I type, to rock climb, canyoneer, and mt bike, plus his buddy has a dirt bike...sure wish I was goinbg with him!!

I dropped a spar on mulch that was wet and deep, splattered the house. I started having it washed right away off the house. The son was all saying, "don't worry about it, I'll get it later." Later would have left stains of decomposing bark mulch, I'd bet.

Done it twice, both with Douglas-fir sticks that we were logging. One was a neighbor's house, a good 40 feet from where the log landed. They were watching and had to duck outta da line of fire pronto. The opposite side big wave splattered Travis's old black Caddy. In both cases, we washed off the houses, and were spared any window breakage, luckily...I think they're both on video, or maybe still images.

Big cottonwood Rog. Video shows it better I thought. Thanks for posting. That was a brave move hanging the big top.

It was, for sure..... Not sure if I would have gone smaller, had it been me up there. That would have meant rigging from the remaining leaning lead, and from a smaller rig point. Of course, the branches would have been smaller. Still would have had to rig the very top..no way to pull it against the lean. But we had the perfect amount of dialed in friction, and the relative rookie Trevor ran it perfectly. Watching it come down, I didn't think he'd be able to stop it.. which wouldn't have been that bad at all.

Back