Big cottonwood!

rbtree

Climbing Up
Pat, who has worked for and with me for quite some time, has his own biz now, Westside Tree Care. He needs me, my crew and chipper for some of his jobs. The job entailed removing a cottonwood with a maple growing nearly together and two more maples. These were normal sized trees, 24-30" dbh and 60-110 feet tall. The tree pictured in these images was ~42" dbh and 140 feet tall, with a secondary trunk of ~20" which grew up and out, thus totally weighted to the side. Challenging removal, with a cedar understory, plus a fence, sprinkler line and shed for obstacles. Oh, and the septic drain field on the side away from the fence. We did the job Tuesday and Wednesday in good weather. My computer was acting up....couldnt get the images downloaded for ages. Doubt I slept more than two hours Wed nite. Then, Thursday was ugly wet. Yesterday nice. Rain here was snow in the mountains, even at Crystals base. I'm still tired, but am leaving to ski Crystal for today and maybe tomorrow in a few minutes. Should be some heavy powder to ski (chowder) before the sun comes out, which is supposed to be happening later, with tomorrow looking nice and warmer!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157644591978821/

I took lots of video, but for some reason, when posting them to facebook there is no picture, only sound, and my one try with yourtube failed. Will have to try again when I get off the slopes. We lowered a wickedly huge top..and the video is rather impressive!
Pat's going back to finish the last 50-60 feet of big wood this morning. I gave him several ideas on how to get the rounds off. Since I don't have one of Reg's "Block Drivers", I didn't include the best option.
13964755158_aa8679f040_o_d.jpg

14171460253_c9a394b91f_o_d.jpg

13964731877_4a0ffb480c_o_d.jpg

14151415745_f04a97d42b_o_d.jpg

13964739737_a64786be75_o_d.jpg

Thanks for posting those really nice photos rb. It is snowing hard here in Montana too. Been shut down for two weeks. Put the skis away for the year. Have fun at Crystal.
Pat

Ugly tree, but the best pics as always Rog. Is Pat a good climber ? Hot day was it ? I gave up the shirtless option in my early 20s. Still sometimes on the beach though. I hope you get the viideo to work.

Nice close ups, RB.

Pat, that is crazy about the snow!

Cooler as well, a loose sweaty T is the way to go.
In fairness though a picture of me without a shirt would not bring many admiring comments.

Awesome pics Rog, you and Pat make a killer tree team. Shred it up on the slopes and be safe.

Who has a block driver, only a dozen or so floating around...

Good stuff Rog. That was a pig for sure.
I can't go shirtless like that, my nipples are too sensitive :D
You guys always seem to step up to the challenge and win. Well done

They are history Brian. I dont even have one. Use a broken broom handle. Aye Rog !

Yeah Reg, well, when your long gone the block driver is gonna be worth a fortune... It's just so rare mate... Like a painting from a famous dead artist, yeah.

Plus I'd be clicking off fat pine chunks with it.

Wow Roger: Beautiful tree for a Cottonpig. Years ago we did one up in Arlington that was 52" and 150' right on the Stillaguamish. I decided that it would be a good idea to try to roll the logs out Beranek style with the 18% rule. Holy smoke man! The second log hit a little too close to the river bank and jetted mud into the side of the lady's house almost hard enough to break the windows. The dude had to get out there with a power washer to get it off. Thank God she wasn't home. Man, I was cussin' myself for making the hardest bucking job for us that we've ever had to do. Those logs were submarined almost halfway into the ground.
Nowadays when that happens I don't even sweat it: I just rip cut the top (exposed) half of the log off, and then get the boys on the peavey to roll the bottom, muddy plank out.

rip-cutting it, an interesting idea.

I dropped a spar on mulch that was wet and deep, splattered the house. I started having it washed right away off the house. The son was all saying, "don't worry about it, I'll get it later." Later would have left stains of decomposing bark mulch, I'd bet.

TBH, I think half naked employees don't help with projecting a professional image. Plus, clothing is a form of PPE. Keep your clothes on, people!

I'm a long sleeve person. Shade is better than sunblock, IMO. Glove cover my hands. I should wear a neck flap and sun screen in places like face and neck. I wear a sun hat, too. It is PPE.

A just had a something removed that was pre-cancerous, at 34 y.o., from her upper back (high sun exposure).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just got back from skiing snowy and foggy Saturday, sunny today...gloppy snow but fun 2nd week of awesome parking lot party set up by local employees--lots of young nubile wenches, barby food, campfires, audio visual show outside, and plenty of herb.........Visited Snoquerra Falls again. This time I got what I know are superb images.... just now downloading them... a couple hundred or so.

I can't figure how Pat can stand to go shirtless in a tree, but it's his deal.....

Reg, he has gotten really good... over 30 years younger than me, and stronger...

Here's shots from last weekend's party
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157644553526686/

I grew up in farm country .Those old timers wore those long sleeve cotton blue cambray shirts winter or summer .

Now cottonwoods came get huge .Our local species is the eastern black cotton wood .Over 100 feet and 4 feet at breast height is not uncommon .I've seen over 5 feet .

Not too many cotton woods here. Took one down in my career and it was BIG. I started up the tree with a 24" bar on my saw for torching leaders off. I seem to remember them being real trashy and on those big leads, as soon as I would start the back cuts they'd be popping and cracking. I could be wrong. It was years ago.

I got a big one fairly close to the house that's starting to fall apart .It's over a 100 and probabley 4 feet on the main that splits into two over 3 feet .Some day when I get the time I'll get Tom to rig it or I'll rig it and put the dozer on it and attack the thing with a big saw .It'll make a mighty thump no doubt .

Too many irons in the fire right now,my plates full .

Well the SOB's turn into a hazard .The last one I dropped grew out over a barn .It wasn't a giant ,about 60 foot with about 2 on the base .

I roped it and tried to turn it about 100 degrees ,got 90 and hung it in a big hickory .Got it down of course after a lot of "fence posting "and a skid loader .Chit happens .

Back