Bidding with crane

One of the things I have noticed regarding the different skill levels of operators, is how they can handle very tall picks when there isn't a lot of area to maneuver to lay a tree down. Sometimes they need to get the top of the tree on the other side of the boom when the boom is maxed out in length. I have seen some guys have fits with it. The better operators have their share of tricks. It isn't so hard to damage a boom either. Expensive and I don't think that insurers will cover boom damage. That is what one fellow told me after he forgot to put in the locking pin on the jib. :|:

The good ones often brush the pick on adjacent trees to get it oriented where they want it. The best ones are like wizards, getting picks down into nearly impossible spots with ease and not much time spent

I have no idea. Here's what it looked like when I made the cut.

33bk2s7.jpg

Our local companies wont let you ride the ball. When I say ride the ball I mean they wont let you tie in on a shackle above the ball either. Wont let you connect to the crane. Have to do all your climbing manually.

It is silly. Here we are only allowed a ride into the tree, and if there is a need for an emergency. Apparently, if OSHA were to find out we were riding the ball the whole time it is a huge fine for the crane contractor. Luckily, our operator has 20 plus years of doing tree work before becoming a crane op, and we slide the rules here and there because he understands that sometimes it's the right answer. Not only is he a good operator, but he will help with things that are our workers responsibilities like grabbing a rake. You can tell it is in his blood.

The Co we use started that nonsense this year, no riding the crane at all. I just tell the owner that we have deemed the tree a hazard and have to be craned up. He will let that slide if it is not in a high traffic area (apparently calling it a hazard gives him some leeway liability wise?)

It seems that obviously there are certain risks involved in riding the ball, but so is there in about every aspect of doing tree work, in total it is a dangerous profession. I don't see why the powers that be, can tell you that you can't do one dangerous aspect, but still do another. It seems dumb to want to isolate certain elements that have proven to be reliable methods, and deny the conscientiousness of the professionals to cover the whole base of their requirements. I could better understand them saying that we can't do tree work at all, henceforth it can only be done by robots. That seems a hell of a lot smarter than getting a bug up their azzes about only certain aspects. I sense a power trip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crane co just called, and No riding the ball per OSHA. We got four more inches of snow last night so I canceled until tomorrow.

Anybody want to shovel a roof?

That must be a state thing, Bud. There could be the case that the crane company interprets their own policy as the same as an OSHA one that might not really exist in your state. I would make further enquiries to verify.

According to the literature put out by Mark Adams, OSHA typically looks at the nationwide ANSI regulations, WHICH ALLOW IT with specifics on the attachment points. The hook as the sole attachment point is not allowed by the regs. OSHA may have different standards and supersede ANSI crane regs in some states, a bit stricter in California on having two attachment points, for example, and one is the hook. The big catch is that state, local, or company regulations may be stricter than ANSI, and if that is the case, you are supposed to follow them, which seems to also mean you can't do it at all in some places, or when working for or with some companies.

I guess it also means that if a particular crane outfit has their own policy, it comes first before ANSI or OSHA, IF STRICTER. If the state OSHA allows it via their own regs or based on ANSI, and there aren't any other local regs that don't, I would look for another crane outfit that follows those standards without having their own stricter policy.

In some places where OSHA doesn't allow riding the ball, the regs also say, "unless there is no other safe alternative", or something along those lines. A potential loophole, especially for storm work, if a crane outfit would go for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I was able to pull it off today. I'll try to get some pics up later. The owner of the co was my operator and said that there is a way around OSHA, he just learned of it through TCIA somehow. Ended up with a 40 ton for 175/ hr 4 hr min. They just bought a 210 ton with a 245' reach. I cannot wait.

Back