Bidding with crane

Husabud

TreeHouser
So winter storm Nemo put a hurtin on us. I have trees on in and through houses in five towns. I did one today with a Genie lift.that was a waste of time and certainly not a money maker. I have contacted two crane companies, but both said they née to see the job to bid it. Is this BS? Shouldn't a crane co have an hourly rate? This would be my first, of maybe several to come, crane job so I guess I am just wondering. What is the "general" going rate for a crane?

As a general rule, I have never heard of a crane company needing to see a job before bidding, maybe to see the layout regarding electrical lines or possibly other interference or a place to park. The rates are a given, basically.
Generally here they won't come out to take a look unless you ask them to, which they seem willing to do.

The crane company I use is $145 per hour. They never charge more for storm work and have never asked to see the job before hand. We do have a 4 hour minimum though.

Our 21 ton is $130/hr and 50 ton is $200/hr from port to port. Once you establish a working relationship with the crane company, things start to fall into place. I've had them show up without seeing the job quite often, when I need a second opinion or not sure which crane to use, they will come out to look at no charge. Texting works great, or sexting, for communicating with the Crane operators, most of the time I send them pictures of the job, txt them, and don't have to talk to them until I see em' at the job site. I always throw in an extra $50-$100 bill when I can, always help set up and break down, and always walk them in and out of a job when working in tight areas, a little goes a long way.

Heck yea, they should be charging by the hour. Those guys are nuts. A 22 ton goes 90 bucks an hour, 4 hour minimum here, and will take a load to their dump for an extra hour's fee. A 60 ton is 140 an hour, 4 hour minimum plus a 135 permit fee.

Dirt cheap. 65t next week for us is about $1650 for 8 hrs.

Just for comparison, you don't much get hourly rates, by the half day or full day. For the 25 ton, it is generally in the range of $700-$800 per day. The rates have dropped a bit over the last few years, less work now, and quite a few crane outfits around. Wanting to see the job seems curious, unless they are sizing you up as well for their varying rates. :what:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That makes sense Jay. I guess hourly is not really what I am after. I just prefer not to get hosed my first time out. Obviously country or part of the country will change the rate.

Weird they want to see the job first.

A 28 ton here is 650 half day min., 129/hr there after. Travel is part of the hourly.

Are you really doing tree work with two feet of snow on the ground? We have snow piles 6-10 feet tall along driveways. No tree damage though.

You, apparently, got some snow. Here's is a shot from one of today's jobs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360719653.716676.jpg

As you can see, the snow we got is nearly gone.

Four or so inches of heavy wet snow before a drop in temp of 8-10 degrees followed by sustained 45 mph and 75 gusts. This storm knocked down more than it damaged.

Our 30ton is $135 hour and the 40ton we use is $165/hour both with a 4 hour minimum and charged travel.

You need to make sure they do tree work regularly, choosing between providers that would be my big question. You wont have slings, chokers, tongs, or the experience with a crane to name a few things. Having a good tree-experienced op can make all the difference.

You dont have to help set up/breakdown and the crane company will be glad to charge you the hourly while they do it themselves! :) We swarm on the Op when he arrives.

I am always shit outta luck. I think one does quite a bit of tree work though.

Ha, no treework yet, hoping to get the 65t job in next weds. Truly crazy amount of snow.

I normally work with a crane operator that I would say that 95% of his work is with trees, and has been that long term. He's the most skilled at assessing situations, but I wouldn't say that he has the best touch. Funny about that, one or two other blokes seem particularly gifted at the controls. Speaking of cranes, taking some heavy picks, yesterday got my helmet taken off by the thick wire catching on a muff. It fell down and bonked on the crane, busted both muff holding mechanisms. :( Catching on the muffs is pretty regular when not on the ears, just sticking out on top, I dunno....

I've had to shut the job down because the crane operator was freaking out doing treework. Evidently, all he was used to was static loads, AC units and the like. He was wasting our time and money.

Was he an independent or working for a company? As a rule, the larger outfits here will only send out people that have worked with trees. I know that people that haven't done it before, often will want to shy away from no confidence. I'd rather that they learned somewhere else.

Yup, though a crane is a miracle machine, its virtually useless without a good op

I've asked crane guys to look at a job to see if they could get in, other than that they see the tree the first time when they show up. 60T $255 an hour portal to portal

Back