Best container for bar oil

Years ago (1977) my ex and I and our 2 year old son traveled down to Houston with another couple and there 2 kids. The other couple was pretty much out of funds. He bought a quart of reclaimed motor for his Econoline. It looked like brand new. Never seen it since on a shelf.

I decided Texas wasn't a good place to spend a summer and came back to NY. They stayed for a year and a half. He says worst decision he ever made. Not sure if it was.

You have to have a good supply of oil Willie .I've got two buddies that run their shops on them but they have huge storage capacties and good sources to get the stuff .

Actually three friends although one of them died . He had a trucking company and lots of oil .Incidently this guy built the first articulated tractor over 300 HP in the USA .John -Deere used his basic design .400 HP Cummins with a 20 speed road ranger and tank retriever axles .It could work over 400 acres of ground in a day .

The actual oil never "wears out " .It just gets contaminated .Big industrial engines use a centifuge type filtration system which does an excellant job of filtering .Because of the cost involved and the complexity these would not be practical on a small engine such as a truck or automobile .

Although I have no proof it would not surprise me if in fact cut rate bar oil is actually reclaimed filtered crankcase oil with a tacking agent .Weather it is or not doesn't make a difference because as far as I'm concerned the cut rate stuff works as well as the higher priced .An opinion .

I take my oil to a buddies auto shop where he burns it. I wouldn't need near as much as my shop will be mostly storage. I'd bet less than a barrel. I was actually thinking that it is big enough to dump a load of chips inside for heat:D

If you're really interested in it ,a drip system is not that hard to make .Mother Earth News had a neat one years ago or most likely you could Google it for a plan .

Since you mentioned it I have an entire firebox complete with a heat exchanger from an old fuel oil funace I was always going to make a dripper out of .Geeze 30 years have passed and it isn't done yet .Well it's heavy metal laying in my junk pile .In thirty years it hasn't rusted away yet so it will be around a while longer .

Rambling on .A guy gave me that complete furnace .Cabinet,blower ,fuel system .

Over 30 years ago I dropped a silver maple for him in his back yard ,suburban type setting .I said he should take down about a 20 foot section of chain link because the tree would hit it .He didn't think it would ,crash .I was right .Only about the top 10 foot hit the fence but it was enough to drive the top rail clear to the ground .Told him .

You gotta get these caps, they fit right on the 1 gallon oil containers. You can get them at tractor supply, I picked about a dozen of them on sale for 50 cents each.

Attachments

• spill saver cap.jpg
    spill saver cap.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 32
Ha I got so used to the smell of diesel fuel after my tour on the boats it's almost perfume to me .Mrs Smith doesn't subscribe to that theory .

I told her a man should smell of horse chit, gasoline and diesel fuel .So far the words fall upon deaf ears .

Ha ha...for real, I liked the smell of diesel on my guy so much I married him...then moved on his boat and we both smelled like it...mind you a diesel leak below decks halfway across the Atlantic sailing close hauled...is NOT nice!

Mmmmhhhmmm...I won't go into the squid and fish, backed up by diesel and salt water...well I guess I did...

Back