Best container for bar oil

Laundry detergent container here, the same one for the last ten plus years. Very strong thick plastic. You unscrew the lid to reveal a spout, which also unscrews for easy fill up.

I punch the hole to the side (I buy mine in the rectangular jugs). I normally pour from the side, rather than tipping the jug up vertically. The white jug is bar oil, hole punched with scrench. The blue is mixing oil, hole punched with 8d nail (this one tore a little).

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 5
Euro stihl combi can here, with auto shut off on both oil and fuel.

No fiddling with caps.

Oil can be a little slow in winter, but since it never gets that cold here its not really an issue.

I use a bleach jug for my mixed gas. It has a drain vent and extra thick plastic. I'd guess my jugs over 5 years old.

Less dribble. Yeah, like I'm a neat guy out in the woods, Ha!

Just playing,,, and to each his own.

Willie, right off the shelf at Safeway. In the saw section.

Shoulda known that even the corner market had a stihl saw shop in it in Ft. Bragg:D

Oil can be a little slow in winter, but since it never gets that cold here its not really an issue.

Around here we have to do the same thing you do when you call your chickens home, just to get it to flow out of the spout: " Chickie...chickie...chickie..............!

Except we say: "Oileee............oileee................oileeeeeeeeeeee...............!

Still takes about 5 minutes to fill a saw!

Around here we have to do the same thing you do when you call your chickens home, just to get it to flow out of the spout: " Chickie...chickie...chickie..............!

Except we say: "Oileee............oileee................oileeeeeeeeeeee...............!

Still takes about 5 minutes to fill a saw!

You need a little immersion heater in your oil container.

Yes bio on all the state forest cutting we do.
Regular on all private gigs.
I don't much like the bio oil, but it does flow better when cold.

I know logging companies that run their used engine oil for bar "lube".

interesting, I know of at least one nursery that uses their old engine oil as a spreader sticker for Roundup applications in the growing fields. :/:

Ha, thats a new one on me, I assume it is screened very well or sprayed from a garden hose!

Is there an advantage to thinning oil with diesel over kerosene? Diesel is pretty stinky. Kerosene has a lower specific gravity, so less needed to thin as well...though the difference would probably be miniscule.

I use diesel because I have a pump with a hose on it I can drain a little out of the hose easily. Diesel used to have a bit of lubricity to it, don't know if that is true anymore.

I hate the smell of diesel, but I don't have a problem with using the cut bar oil. It doesn't take much.

Ha I got so used to the smell of diesel fuel after my tour on the boats it's almost perfume to me .Mrs Smith doesn't subscribe to that theory .

I told her a man should smell of horse chit, gasoline and diesel fuel .So far the words fall upon deaf ears .

Now on this used motor oil stuff ,they claim it's not so bad on the cutting systems .On another site a guy claimed they ran 200 saws a year on it but then this is the internet and you can read anything .

That aside I can't possibley see any advantage to use the stuff .Lawdy you get that carbon laden stuff all over you ,what a mess .Best thing to reuse that stuff is in a waste oil burner .

Back