Best container for bar oil

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I'm in search for a better container. This forum turned me on to the awesomeness of the No Spill fuel cans (which ROCK, btw)...

w3mHzvCDoooeTqHTMx861CuSsrldK354lufMeOEItQ5EFNebv0WW1QQ15p5uUyW60ZcvinKJhOlgV4-rqlIFoALiRpltJcFoN5_f2UBFiPofQ3OOmulzS3sCoIbU461nImOJtvXNAl9ftUeq9N_PZD0jqaGW6YjObdjqG9mAQx9DXek

I want to find a similar version for bar oil. Everywhere I've ever worked has always just used whatever bottle the oil came in. Then you have to pour carefully to get the stream into the saw.

Something with a spout that would get down in the tank would be sweet.

What do you all use? That standard "stock" bottle or something better...

bioplusoil_new.jpg

love
nick

Had one similar to that back in the 1980's and it held two gallons of gas and one of oil.
It was a bit more rectangular than the one you've shown, red with yellow spouts and truly sealing caps,
so there was never a mess in the back of the truck even on rough roads.It was heavy when full but very convenient.
All that I can find locally of that style lately are smaller (like 1 gal petrol and 1/2 gal oil)and cheaply made.

The caps on this one are sealing, too.

They are just so well made, that it is not easy to see.

Internal spring and O-ring.
You just push them into the filling cap hole on the saw, then they stop automatically when the tank is full.

Just poke a small hole at the bottom of the foil seal instead of removing the whole thing. The hole is the size of the shank of the scrench's screw driver. Works Jim Dandy (Or Scott Smithy/Treesmithy)! I never had a problem before, but since he did my last jug like this I like it even better.

I can send you one if you want.
They are pretty expensive, though. About $55 + shipping.

I have crushed a couple over the years by forgetting where I'd put them and hitting them with a tree.

Apart from that, they hold up pretty well IMO.

They had a bad series of the caps a couple of years ago, but we got new ones when we brought the broken ones in to the dealer, so no problem.

I've been using then since they came out, what, maybe 30 years ago.
The caps need replacing once in a while, but then I use them daily about 7-8 mths a year.

Yeah, I remember that bad batch of caps. Our local dealers refused to replace them, and after paying out an irritating sum to have new caps a couple of times, I changed all my cans to the stihl version.

I had a hard on for trying to find a new bar oil container, until Brian (skewrl) showed me his trick. Just use the bottle it came in, and cut a slit about 1/4" wide down the middle of the foil. Basically just leaving two foil flaps on the side. Works like a freaking champ, no more splilling, and very clean as it allows you do pour sideways in a controller stream. If you want I can take a picture.

Those no spills suck for oil, the problem is that the oil is still in the tip after you depressed the button, so if you don't time it perfect you spill all over the place. I bought a clear no spill for this, now it's sitting on the shelf.

We use old laundry detergent containers. The owner of a local saw shop showed it to us. It works great. At the shop we have the bar oil in old dish soap containers. That works wonders for topping off saws at the end of the day.

We use old laundry detergent containers. The owner of a local saw shop showed it to us. It works great. At the shop we have the bar oil in old dish soap containers. That works wonders for topping off saws at the end of the day.

Take the cap off the dish soap container and put it on the (labelled) bar oil container. Otherwise, if OSHA stops you, it's a big fine.

Take the cap off the dish soap container and put it on the (labelled) bar oil container. Otherwise, if OSHA stops you, it's a big fine.

Those no spill laundry soap containers are great. They're the easiest container I've ever used and yet I am too lazy to use anything other than the gallon containers bar oil comes in.

Yeah: EMR and Darin beat me to it.

Nick: This is a boast, but I'm willing to bet that everyone who ever steals a liquid laundry soap container from the little lady, will never use anything else again for bar oil.

Don't use horrible red-neck laundry soap brands like Tide or Cheer for bar-oil. Spring for a bottle of Ecos Laundry Detergent, and then you'll be able to say "re-purposing" instead of "re-using," and you'll score lots of Green points.:lol::lol::lol:

I'm gonna try Skwerl's trick with the slit down the middle. I just use the gallon containers as well.

jp:D

Back