Be safe reminder thread

I suppose a self feeder would be safer than a chuck and duck but it's still stupid to cram brush in with a foot in the chute .

That old Lindag chuck and duck of Tom the tree guys will haul that brush in at about 60 MPH once it gets a bite .With a tad over a hundred HP you would not stand a snowballs chance in hell if it grabbed you .

But that's just the thing, Al... a CnD has alot less grab than a self-feeder; it'd be hard to pull someone in resisting.

I've said it before... a CnD is a safer machine, overall. Far fewer people have been hurt or killed by them.

But that's just the thing, Al... a CnD has alot less grab than a self-feeder; it'd be hard to pull someone in resisting.

I've said it before... a CnD is a safer machine, overall. Far fewer people have been hurt or killed by them.

fewer killed but more hurt id guess;)

Maybe a CnD is safer because it forces you to be on your toes or get smacked.

Having used several, I have a problem with the terms "safer" and "get smacked" both being used to describe a CnD. They seem to conflict with one another. "Getting smacked" to the point of going home bloody every day isn't what I'd consider 'safe'.

From what I've seen self-feeders take larger wood. So longer with more crotches and whatnot that's where the danger lies I think. CnD's suck imo. Yah, light, cheap, simple all that but running one means losing blood.

If you're getting smacked and bloody running a CnD, you're not feeding it right.

I was cutting a limb pinched under the log today...I think everybody here runs into those all of the time. This one had more bind than I expected, must have missed my puss by an inch when it snapped back after I cut it. I'm sure I'd have lost teeth. I need to be more careful with those suckers, especially since I average a close call with those about once per day.

If you're getting smacked and bloody running a CnD, you're not feeding it right.

Sooner or later you're gonna donate some blood. Heck maybe I'm not that good at it fine by me I'll not be going back to a CnD anytime soon. CnD is what ya use if you're doing only pruning or just raising funds for a self-feeder imo. And in order to truly utilize a self-feeder you need a mini or some type of mechanized forwarding/feeding device. Nine jobs out of ten now I don't even touch brush, take the largest sections or pieces possible and cram 'em down the throat with my mini. Less cuts, less handling, less time.

I tell you the truth.

Even working with a Bandit whole tree grapple chipper, there are still times, yes mostly on smaller stuff, that I wish I still had a CnD. Come spring, I'll rectify that.

The proper way to feed one is simple: Toss it in as you walk parallel and past the chipper. Keep in mind that CnD's don't like wide crotches; cut smarter.

99 percent of the people who piss and moan about them machines don't have the knives set right.

Mine's for sale cheap if you're tooling up. Might not be worth the trip for ya though.:D Ya I remember it's quite a complex technique to feeding the CnD, I had a real hard time with it.:P

Erik, it also depends on what you're chipping. There's lots of stuff around here that can be chipped with a CnD just fine, and it's even halfway enjoyable seeing how efficiently it works. But then you get the knarly 'velcro oak' or some other tree where every limb has a 90 degree turn every 12". You're thinking too narrowly, Erik. Not every tree is perfect for your chipper, and some areas have trees that are different than your local trees.
;)

I would agree that a CnD is safer for injuries or fatalities but I still found more bloodletting with mine than my new self-feeder. A little bleeding and bruising is par for the course in treework. I barely notice it, seems like a cakewalk most days compared to the bush. Some of the whips that ole CnD laid on me, man oh man somedays I'd just look at that thing and ask 'why?'.

And fiddling ass around setting it up 'just right' is a pita imo.

Skwerl, that's where the cutting smarter comes in.

Oak (or anything else "crotchy") is a PITA to feed into a CnD unless its limbed well.

Then, even on a smaller self-feeder, it's still a PITA.

;)

Back