August Hunicke Videos

I had to look up "misanthrope."
I must say, I like that word. I love people, and I think they are awful.
My two-year-old cracked me up when I asked her why she wouldn't respond to the (probably well-meaning) people who questioned her with sparkly affectionate eyes. She looked at me (and I am glad I am considered worthy of answering) and told me, very matter of factly,
"I don't like people."
Hahahahaha, I'm still laughing
and she's five now. I definitely don't enforce that she entertains peoples questions but I'm not sure I'm right to be like that.
I'm sure it's just a balancing act like the rest of life. "Wise as a serpent, harmless as a dove."

Think I found it.
Now everyone is using a lot of big words and I'm to lazy or tired or had a bit to much syrup to look them up.

On the other hand, if I were to judge August from what he poyrays on the net, I would think he was the opposite to you....I would think he was incredibly Vain. At least, more so than any other individual that I've come across in the tree industry.

This is really interesting.
I don't see him like that at all, from his posts.
I see him as a person who is secure in his knowledge of his trade, pretty much the way I see you or in fact, myself. ( Mine is a different trade, I am primarily a logger, but probably one of the best around the place where I live, so I have that same "arrogance") ( That "Probably" was me trying to be like Jed. Shit, I'm the one they call when the other outfits beg out!....So much for humility)
On top of that, he has a bit of the entertainer gene, which is what makes me watch his posts.

The interesting thing is that I see you as the exact same type as August.
Secure in your knowledge of your trade and having travelled the world and killed trees in strange, exotic places have made you even more so ( Just like it has me).

Both of you suffer from the " look at meeeeee, Mom, no hands" syndrome, or you wouldn't be putting all those videos out.

Much to the enjoyment of the rest of us lesser mortals ( That was meant to be in arborism, I'll beat both of you in a logging scenario, no problem:D) but still, mostly to show off your prowess.
It would be fun to ask old Sigmund what your real reason is. I could venture a guess, something along the line of being weaned too early, but better not, I guess.

So honestly, Reg. This is a case of the kettle calling the pot black.

Me, myself and old Sigmund all think your beef with August stems from the fact that since Jerry retired, he is the only one up there with you.

Stig I just had asked Jed question, about some aspects of his personality, beliefs, Web contributions and how they all gel together. It's academic that I picked August as his antithesis, but to me was the best ex ample that ca me to mind. I can elaborate if you want, although I didn't think I'd have to. Remember now, we're talking Web presence.

I only see Jed post on the treehouse, used to call himself inbredJed only a short while ago. To me, gentleman Jed would be more fitting. But thats all I know about him. Not his second name nor what he looks like. I gather though that he has very high standards and morals, from his conduct here.

August, well ok. I believe he's started 2 threads. August Hunicke videos, and August Hunicke poems. Outside of the treehouse you have August Hunicke Facebook, August Hunicke youtube, August Hunicke Instagram and August Hunicke Twitter
.... that I know of. If you watch an August Hunicke video, text will often appear as does August, saying 'August Hunicke'....in case you'd forgotten his name, or were perhaps expecting to see John Wayne with a chainsaw. The content is generally loaded with self promotion....along with some solid tree work. See, to me that's pretty vain, compared to Jed. But outside if that they're both Christians. To be fair also, to meet August in person or speak on the telephone he doesn't come across as vain.

You think I'm like August, Stig ? Mate, I'm way better looking.....Joking : )

I do have a youtube account. I never used my full name. It was always recoates . Then a couple years ago youtube or Google changed it to my full name....without even asking. And, you can't just call someone up to tell them to change it back. I don't like my name. I don't like saying it. When Im at the lineup at starbucks I call myself Bob. It's just easier.

The videos I made were intended to depict good and interesting treework. Before youtube I was on Google videos. Then I got a hand designing and promoting arborist equipment. Part of my contract is to actively promote the gear on line, and keep a Web presence. It's not a request, or favor. My gear is real, the videos whether of that or just treework are not contrived or embellished in any way. When I'm working at the shows or whatever, people as me about the specifics of the work....in that they learn or relate to the detail of the technique....not the video presentation.

I don't have a look at me syndrome. But I'm confident in my abilities. You could drop me in with any tree company in the world and I'll earn their respect.

I like you Stig, because you don't avoid stuff. You don't pretend.

Well I appreciate all the vids. I am kind of fascinated by it. I mean people that do it. My whole life I've barely ever even taken the odd photo, while others would be snapping away like crazy.

I was thinking abut that reading August's 'picture a day' thread which is a really great thread. I have very little to contribute to it because I have no old pictures, and barely any new ones.

Sometimes I feel badly that I haven't photographed my life, my family more. I don't know why at the present moment in time I never think to 'capture' that moment or record it in anyway? Video just isn't even on my radar. Lol. I hope that doesn't become a even larger regret as I age, but my gut tells me it will.

I do really appreciate those that do take the time to record and share.

I do have a youtube account. I never used my full name. It was always recoates . Then a couple years ago youtube or Google changed it to my full name....without even asking. And, you can't just call someone up to tell them to change it back. I don't like my name. I don't like saying it. When Im at the lineup at starbucks I call myself Bob. It's just easier.

What you need is a knighthood.

Sir Reginald has a great ring too it, and would look awesome on the Starbucks cup. Try it out on your next skinny macchiato, no need to thank me.

Well I appreciate all the vids. I am kind of fascinated by it. I mean people that do it. My whole life I've barely ever even taken the odd photo, while others would be snapping away like crazy.

I was thinking abut that reading August's 'picture a day' thread which is a really great thread. I have very little to contribute to it because I have no old pictures, and barely any new ones.

Sometimes I feel badly that I haven't photographed my life, my family more. I don't know why at the present moment in time I never think to 'capture' that moment or record it in anyway? Video just isn't even on my radar. Lol. I hope that doesn't become a even larger regret as I age, but my gut tells me it will.

I do really appreciate those that do take the time to record and share.

Your daughter will appreciate it, I bet, and her kids, on down the line. I'll bet you will as well. Your memory won't be so sharp as an old man.

What you need is a knighthood.

Sir Reginald has a great ring too it, and would look awesome on the Starbucks cup. Try it out on your next skinny macchiato, no need to thank me.

I like a tall flat white, for future reference.

I don't want to be, "conflicting, defensive or argumentative" or I would build a defense for myself and bust out the slicing words.
The thing is, I don't want to thwart my own character development through its criticism, and the sting gives me better chance for self evaluation than praise, which I get enough of.
Although, if I can say this in complete honesty and without inflammation, I've wondered a few times Reg, if your words were more about the sting than my betterment.
It makes little difference though because I can still benefit from harvesting the truth of a criticism and making changes. I abhor the thought of character stagnation.
Yes Stig, there will be some Fruedian truth that I would love to learn about myself, and I search for it. To prove this, I've even gone so far as to ask my wife's opinion, who knows me better than anyone.
She says that I love to move people by presentation, whether a church message or a tree vid, and she knows that I have been overly preoccupied with whether or not it is successfully motivating people, which basically turns into glory-hounding which is a character trait I don't want to be stuck in. The relief is, that she also knows I am interested in improving my character and using my opportunities to make a positive contribution wherever I go.
Wives don't seem to mind helping in that category (pointing out a husband's flaws)
She also tells me that to entertain a response here is just allowing my time to be stolen by strangers. I disagree with her there though because a colleague of my precise vocational arena is not a stranger. He is someone that can know about my life better than my own family or church in some ways.
The reason I started making videos has changed over the years. Initially, as Stig said, it was to say
"Hey mom, look at me."
Truly, I wanted to show off.
No doubt, I still do.
There was a lot of shoddy work on YouTube and I wanted to basically say,
"No, not like that, like this."
I also wanted to hear the applause.
I am changing along the way though.
Applause doesn't fill but giving does. And now, I have an audience to give to and I have peers to relate to and share with.
I am not completely shallow, and I actually don't think Reg was saying so.
Reg, and Benn, not pulling punches has helped me make adjustments here in the treehouse which is an absolute hive of vocational understanding. So I hope I am still friends with them, if I ever was, after their words chisel some of my character stagnation away. I respect both of them.
Humility is an interesting subject. My favorite saying on the subject is, "rate your humility on a scale of 1 to 10." A friend of mine, and very humble guy I suppose, was asked this question when applying for a job as a missionary to another country. He "prides" himself on honesty, he told them he was a 10. He didn't get the job LOL.
The Bible says that Moses was the "meekest man who ever lived." But if you know your Bible trivia, Moses wrote the book of Genesis which is where that meek statement comes from LOL. Did he hand the book to Joshua for that part of it?
For the record, I have to agree that Jed has the track record to beat me and most others in this category of humility.
To answer Reg's question if I may, I think it is a character strength he came out of the egg with.
Definitely something I have to work at.
Luckily my belief system doesn't require that I be perfect. Only that I try to improve.
Anyway, I write all of this because I value the relationships here. I will still continue to make videos. Hopefully I will have friends here that don't mind being a witness to my progress and accept me, warts and all, along the way.

LOL at "Bob" in the Starbucks line.
Sorry to sound similar but I have introduced myself as Bob thousands of times. It's just so much easier.

Swisher: kids will love having pictures to look at later. I take pictures like crazy. It's an impossible attempt to capture what cannot be captured. Time. Not taking pictures and living in the moment is probably more sane.

Videos are even more special. To hear a grandparent/ parent/ family members voice is so much more. Baby's first this and that. A kid's first school dance, etc.

You can get rid of them later, but never have a chance to get them again.

Its interesting to hear people's backstories!!

We are so different from how others perceive us, and even how we perceive ourselves. Take this many steps further, with the internet persona, largely text, here at the TH.

You think I'm like August, Stig ? Mate, I'm way better looking.....Joking : )

With that Prince Valentin hair of yours, man, you've got to be kidding!
The 60es are waaaaay over, Dude.

As for forum participation, August got a wake up call from Ben and has responded in a fine way.
He is active in lots of threads today and is a fine participating member of the forum ( Unlike yourself, one might say).
Both of you are part of what makes this my favourite place on the web to hang out.
I don't watch many tree felling videos. After a day of killing trees, that is not what I need to look at for relaxation.
I do, however, look at yours and August's videos ( And if the "music" isn't too bad, I'll even see them to the end)
Not so much for the inspiration, since the trees we work in are wastly different, but simply because it is a joy to see a true master of the trade in action.
That is the same reason why I'll occasionally put on one of my friend Jerry Beranek's videos and always force my apprentices to watch them.
The setting he works in is so different, that I/ they can hardly use anything from those videos in our daily work, but it is just sooooo good to watch him doing his trade.

Reg, what threads have you participated in, apart from the " loooooooook at Reg coates, isn't he wonderful" threads?

Sure, you managed to sell me a Arbor trolley, but I didn't buy that simply because I'm in love with your internet personality but because other people chimed in about how good it is, too ( I love the damn thing, just trying to make a point ,here!)

You are right by the way, I don't pretend much.
In real life, I'm pretty much the same person as I am here.
A complete asshole, in other words. Too full of myself and always willing to drag somebody out behind the bar to have a man to man talk in the parking lot.

So, you wanna have a go at it?:)

Actually, that is the one thing I like the most about this place.
Butch has a away of keeping all that internet blustering down to a minimum.

Nice to be able to hang with a bunch of other testosterone driven guys after work , discussing stuff and never have to go out in the parking lot to settle it.

As for the whole Christianity thing ( See, I spelled it with a capital C, to show respect) I don't get that at all, but Jed is my favourite sparring partner, since he can take a punch to the jaw ( And to God) without getting pissed off mean.

Care to explain, Butch.
It was a pretty though out post, so I'd like to know what you disliked about it.

Are you missing the Euro sarcasm, again?

I don't understand that thumbs down at all.
Feel free to reply privately, but I'd really like to know where I stepped off the trail on this?

As for the whole Christianity thing ( See, I spelled it with a capital C, to show respect) I don't get that at all, but Jed is my favourite sparring partner, since he can take a punch to the jaw ( And to God) without getting pissed off mean.
Thanks for that uncharacteristic show of respect Stig. ;) I believe Jed is the real deal. Which doesn't mean perfect, it just means forgiven, submitted to, and madly in love with the One who paid such a great price for all of mankind to be reconciled to God, and that even includes you Stig. I didn't get it either, despised it, ran from it, but God never gave up on me, or you, or anyone else. He said, "whosoever will" may come and the welcome mat is still in front of the door.

You think I just like stinging people August ? If I was trying, you'd know the difference. When I first started posting on the forums I definitely had a thing or two to learn about communicating without unintentionally offending people....particularly in gest or humor. On the contrary, Ive given you honest advice and reasoning since we first came into contact. Especially since your more recent ventures in product development. And it comes from experience, not guessing or speculation. Never asked for anything in return, never got anything. And its not uncommon either. You'd be surprised how many people have asked me for some insight or advice regarding similar such ventures through the last 10 years....only to never hear from them again once their projects take off. I generally wish people all the success in the world....sincerely....why wouldn't I ? But I do like to see it done by fair means. Although, that's kind of subjective interpretation of what is ok and what isn't i.e. Remember when you used to post on all my videos August, when you had hardly any subscribers of your own, and was trying to get noticed. You even asked me post on your videos so it would add some weight [your words]. In fact, before that all comments were blocked on my channel, until you talked me into allowing them again, lol. No doubt, you were posting all over every one elses videos too. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but this from a man who keeps insisting he has 'no plan'. Really ? Now I never hear from you. Is that normal ? And, you know I hate copying, or borrowing other peoples ideas. I'm just being honest August. Id sooner be disliked for who am than liked for being a fake.

Also, why didn't you finish Jerrys video? You did half of it, got up to the best bit, and then nothing. In the meantime you've made about 6 of your own vids, about yourself again. if theres a valid reason then what is it ? If not, then it doesn't look good in my book at least. You should finish what you start if its for someone else.

Back