August Hunicke Videos

Your vid was very cool, Augie, I'm eager to hear what you think re blakes vs HC setup.

I was referring to the spiderjack vid, the way it can make a good climber look a lot like Spiderman, lol.

The badger is Gwen, she is being held by Bob who owns a "backyard zoo" in Maine, but it is pretty extensive with lions, hyenas, camels, black bear, cougar, tigers, primates, all raised by hand from birth by Bob and his wife, very cool. lI wanted to have something a lil different for my avatar, that seemed to fit the bill.

Mustelids rawk8)

With the further development of the split-tail system, utilizing prussic cord friction hitches, in combo with the minding pulley, it revolutionized the old standard of rope access for work climbers!

Everything has it pros and cons, of course, but old rope technique, least in my opinion, is the most simple and foolproof in the long run, and it will always be there to serve us the best.

Well said, Jerr.

excellent video :big-bow:
How many cams do u have and what editing program do you use?
I get alot of my ideas for filming from you got another talent other than tree removal good job

I'm unconvinced of anything for now except that there seem to be trade-offs with everything. I'm trying Spider-Jack next. If I find an EFFICIENT mechanism to eat slack as I ascend, I'll be impressed.
The single greatest improvement to my systems and style since I emerged from my time capsule is the adoption of the X-Ring.
I expect the Sena units to be a mind-blowing catapult of industry advancement as well when I try them. My mind is open and I'm enjoying the ride.
Spider Jack:
I been using spider jack for two seasons, I love it. Makes me faster, I use less energy. I find myself with an extra hand, most operational with on hand ascend or descend. Takes a minute to get used to so dont discard after a few uses. I climbed with one arm from a sprained wrist because of that device. Downsides: From using it every day I need to replace cam twice a year. When cam gets worn it slips, most of the time the first slip of the cam is when ur out on a limb "little scary" so inspect always. Its not a midline attachment. So I still carry a midline descent attachment just in case I need it.
Tip: Want to get most out of cam start w/ 11mm rope when cam slips move up a rope size till u hit 13mm. Saves u a couple bucks if you already have other climbing lines. Found Lava rope to be the best running rope with spider jack.
Spider jack isn't worth a shit unless you have a rope guide

The last crew I worked on, 6 out of the 9 climbers climbed with lockjacks or spyderjacks in different configurations with great success.

The preferred device was actually the lockjack. A little less refined in some respects, descent being the major one. You have to provide some friction with your hand to prevent the "on - off" issue that the devices have. This is solved with the spyderjack with the rear friction plate, opperated by the thumb. This with practice does allow controlled single handed descent, limb walking etc. The issue that steered people away from it were firstly the front lever banging into things (as already mentioned ) & 2nd the difficulty of its use with the left hand, a couple of other left handed people ( as well as myself ) struggled with this.
The use of a pulley type cambium saver was also mentioned. Personally I like some friction at my anchor point. this helps alot when descending. An adjustable ring saver worked the best for me.
it is in tending slack that these devices really shine. if you get some good line weight below them, the rope will fall through them & then when you sit back the grab. Something I have never perfected in the set-up of a friction hitch. I did struggle to get them to grab when I initially started using one. This was due to the method of gradually loading a hitch (making sure it grabbed), which is not required. It took a little while to learn just to sit back & let them do there thing.

I miss owning my lockjack & they are worth exploring for sure. Hope this helps a little :)

There too! Fledgling SJ users just had their learning curve reduced.

Oh, and by the way... don't even mess with "split-tail," stuff. Ddrt is fixin' to die. Everything is going to be SRT pretty soon, honest. If I'm right: salute me for a prophet. If I'm wrong: hey man, I'm Inbred Jed, for crying out loud!

No way no how. SRT dominates the internet crowd. DDrt is still the most widely used method by a LOOOOOOONG shot. I would bet my next paycheck that across America on any given day, 95% of the climbing getting done is DDrt. The vast majority of people in this business aren't on the forums trading tips and tricks on gear. That said, SRT is a blank spot in the mind of 90% of climbers I know outside of the forums.

Spider Jack:

Spider jack isn't worth a shit unless you have a rope guide

Well how does that work ?

That's like saying a friction hitch isn't worth shit without a rope guide. By using a natural crotch the clutch and thumb break become much easier to merge and coordinate as you now have 3/points of friction with the addition of the crotch. The clutch lasts longer. The line falls through the device exactly the same with or without a rope guide.

It makes plenty of sense in reality. When a clutch begins to wear it allows the rope to creep through the device very slowly. With a larger rope the larger surface area allows the cam to gip again & can be used safely until it begins to creep again with the larger line.
Personally I use a single line & replace the cam when required

I remember using a spiderjack when they first came out and experienced the accidental release. I lent forward over my rope and it got snagged in my fleece as I made a cut!! Not a nice feeling falling at a cutting saw, luckily it was an undercut.
I did slip about 6' tho before I rolled off the release lever bit. A proper brown trouser moment and I got my line with a VT on it sent up straight away and swaped. It put me off buying one for some reason( I was trying it out to see what I thought)

It makes plenty of sense in reality. When a clutch begins to wear it allows the rope to creep through the device very slowly. With a larger rope the larger surface area allows the cam to gip again & can be used safely until it begins to creep again with the larger line.
Personally I use a single line & replace the cam when required

Nothing wrong with this practice, as it works just the way he described it. I know a lot of guys who did that with their unicenders also before having them rebuilt. Start at the low end and move up in rope size as things start creeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way no how. SRT dominates the internet crowd. DDrt is still the most widely used method by a LOOOOOOONG shot. I would bet my next paycheck that across America on any given day, 95% of the climbing getting done is DDrt. The vast majority of people in this business aren't on the forums trading tips and tricks on gear. That said, SRT is a blank spot in the mind of 90% of climbers I know outside of the forums.

Tucker: definitely wasn't talking about democratic rule here. Of course 95% of American climbers still use Ddrt; but then, you or I wouldn't dream of letting one of our tight-bid removal jobs be done by 95% of American climbers. Mind you: I am not saying that there are not better climbers than I that still use dDrt. I'm just claiming that Srt is without doubt faster, more efficient, safer, and generally superior; AND I'm predicting that Srt will soon be the majority preference. Of course stodgy old-timers like you and I and August will still insist on climbing on antiquated systems, because that's what we're used to. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Cept for the smart old dogs. :P

You know what I mean... the Burnham types. ;)

Not all Englishmen are the same, Jed. Honestly, poetry on any level is wasted on me and my kind. Im just not moved by it. Its of no use to me whatsoever :dontknow:. Sorry mate, just being honest.

Ha! All depends on your definition of poetry Reg. Ha!!! Imagine a poet brilliant enough to smash a disgusting device (the early, unmodded 201) under a truck, saying something as self-ignorant as "all poetry is wasted on me." HA! ...... You're one of the best poets I know of!

Imagine a poet brilliant enough to smash a disgusting device (the early, unmodded 201) under a truck, !

Hey, IJ, that was a profound connection, hats off.

Not all Englishmen are the same, Jed. Honestly, poetry on any level is wasted on me and my kind. Im just not moved by it. Its of no use to me whatsoever :dontknow:. Sorry mate, just being honest.

Ha! All depends on your definition of poetry Reg. Ha!!! Imagine a poet brilliant enough to smash a disgusting device (the early, unmodded 201) under a truck, saying something as self-ignorant as "all poetry is wasted on me." HA! ...... You're one of the best poets I know of!

Being this ignorant didn't come naturally, Jed, thanks. I had to learn and work at it....but it spared me a lot of pain in recent years.

I remember using a spiderjack when they first came out and experienced the accidental release. I lent forward over my rope and it got snagged in my fleece as I made a cut!! Not a nice feeling falling at a cutting saw, luckily it was an undercut.
I did slip about 6' tho before I rolled off the release lever bit. A proper brown trouser moment and I got my line with a VT on it sent up straight away and swaped. It put me off buying one for some reason( I was trying it out to see what I thought)
Thats why using sj need to be a little more aware of ur surrounding around sj when working incase it gets snagged

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well how does that work ?

That's like saying a friction hitch isn't worth shit without a rope guide. By using a natural crotch the clutch and thumb break become much easier to merge and coordinate as you now have 3/points of friction with the addition of the crotch. The clutch lasts longer. The line falls through the device exactly the same with or without a rope guide.

Not exactly Reg. Not that I have experience with the spider Jack but the reason they probably like the experience better with a pulley is the line weight can pull the rope up and over the tie in point better than it could going over a limb or any surface with more friction. Same as any friction hitch system the line weight will help you more through a pulley. Which is probably how they say you'll have the best slack eating experience with the spider Jack.

I really appreciate all the input here everyone. As soon as I get a little time I can't wait to tell you guys my first experience with the Spider Jack. It was un-fun. Also I recently had the most hair-raising homeowner created booby-trap experiences of my life. I'm still trying to process how it all worked out for me. I don't know if any of you have ever had this experience but, I received a call from 911 emergency for my assistance with a tree that was going back over the wrong way with two inexperienced cutters about to crush the neighborhood. I will fill you in later because I want to take the time to write it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back