August Hunicke Videos

You're getting better at this filming/editing malarkey.
More to the point, what did you think of the HC? I'm a Blake's/prussic man not easily swayed by the vagaries of fashion.
Will you switch?

The difference in smoothness between a blakes split tail (even with a tending pulley) and the HC system is pretty significant. Much smoother when dialled in right.

I would say using a HC compared to a Blakes is radically different, imo. For one thing, if the blake isn't on a split tail then it will be using an open system of the HC compared to the closed system of using a blake's tied using the end of the climb line.

And then, the blake's/tautline etc is positioned further away from you so when you go to pull yourself up you are pulling rope from underneath the blakes. With the HC you will be pulling above the friction hitch.

To me, those are huge differences. Differences in smoothness are key too, but not the same as the above factors, imo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More to the point, what did you think of the HC? I'm a Blake's/prussic man not easily swayed by the vagaries of fashion.
Will you switch?

I'm unconvinced of anything for now except that there seem to be trade-offs with everything. I'm trying Spider-Jack next. If I find an EFFICIENT mechanism to eat slack as I ascend, I'll be impressed.
The single greatest improvement to my systems and style since I emerged from my time capsule is the adoption of the X-Ring.
I expect the Sena units to be a mind-blowing catapult of industry advancement as well when I try them. My mind is open and I'm enjoying the ride.

Will you switch?

Hahaha, btw, I love the way you word things. Skepticism in a person gives me a feeling of trust.

My toast just went cold in the cafe, watching on my phone. I forgot where I was:) Great filming, as always.

August, If I were using a carabinier or that gadget in the video as a choker on the end of the rigging line, I'd always set the bite against the spine, not the gate. Perhaps you've done it the other way forever without incident. I would try to avoid that, but that's just me. As you were.

My toast just went cold in the cafe, watching on my phone. I forgot where I was:) Great filming, as always.

August, If I were using a carabinier or that gadget in the video as a choker on the end of the rigging line, I'd always set the bite against the spine, not the gate. Perhaps you've done it the other way forever without incident. I would try to avoid that, but that's just me. As you were.

Thanks Reg. : ) yeah, against the spine is safer. I expected someone might notice that. : )

I like the look of the X-ring, I'll get one when I can.
Hardly new thinking though, this "topping strop" was standard issue in the mid 90s.
Then it's all "use a pulley you frickin' dinosaur"
Now it's back to rings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 68
I like the look of the X-ring, I'll get one when I can.
Hardly new thinking though, this "topping strop" was standard issue in the mid 90s.
Then it's all "use a pulley you frickin' dinosaur"
Now it's back to rings.

I never used one of those. Lowered through carabiners for years and years. Multiple Anodized aluminum rings looks like an improvement to the strop to me though.

Actually La, come to think of it, I have lowered many times through the years with the tail of my flip line Clove-hitched to the spar (then Halfhitched) by passing the tail of my climbing rope through the eye on the end of my flip line and up to the piece... But don't tell anyone. ; )
gujybera.jpg

Actually La, come to think of it, I have lowered many times through the years with the tail of my flip line Clove-hitched to the spar (then Halfhitched) by passing the tail of my climbing rope through the eye on the end of my flip line and up to the piece... But don't tell anyone. ; )
gujybera.jpg

love it!

: ) Several places in the process of writing this felt like hitting home runs. Been scribbling things down off and on for a couple months.

Also, I think I do talk kind of slow but I don't have a twang in my voice.
I think I actually wrote it with that twang ringing in my head because of having listened to so much cowboy poetry. Which is really the inspiration for it. I kept deleting recitations of it because of the twang. But the twang was sort of married in with the cadence so I couldn't extricate it from the rhyme so I gave up trying to read it without the natural inflection that had been in my head while writing it. The human brain is a pretty strange thing… At least mine is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! "The twang was married in with the cadence..." beautiful. Some people will never understand, (Least of all Englishmen), but, your poem was really good stuff, August. Keep cranking em out!!

Huge effort August. Much appreciated :beerchug:. I dont really know how to feel about the poem if Im honest, but good on ya for doing something different.

Id like to come down and slam a few with you at some point....or vice versa. Although, we dont get lots of particularly challenging trees up here....its more about production, and staying power. But no matter, Im sure you'd enjoy it.

Reg: Imagine asking an Englishman to LIKE cowboy poetry. :lol::lol::lol:

I mean: you guys have been kicking our ass in poetry for like... however many few years North America has been in existence now. But we have bigger trees, which is why you came over here.

If I were an Englishman, I would disparage August's poem for being, self-adulatory, and enormously stylistically confused, not to mention guilty of assonance, and a thousand other technical blunders. However, I am not an Englishman; however much I want to be, and regardless of the fact that I have an English last name, and tend to exaggerate the fact as often as I can, the fact remains that, to put it simply: I simply am not an Englishman. Unfortunately, I am inbred Jed; an American, and I appreciate cowboy poetry, however much anyone else disapproves of it, darn it!

If I were a Literary critic who was asked to comment on August's work, here is what I would write: :notworthy:

Oh, and by the way... don't even mess with "split-tail," stuff. Ddrt is fixin' to die. Everything is going to be SRT pretty soon, honest. If I'm right: salute me for a prophet. If I'm wrong: hey man, I'm Inbred Jed, for crying out loud!

Reg: Imagine asking an Englishman to LIKE cowboy poetry. :lol::lol::lol:

I mean: you guys have been kicking our ass in poetry for like... however many few years North America has been in existence now. But we have bigger trees, which is why you came over here.

If I were an Englishman, I would disparage August's poem for being, self-adulatory, and enormously stylistically confused, not to mention guilty of assonance, and a thousand other technical blunders. However, I am not an Englishman; however much I want to be, and regardless of the fact that I have an English last name, and tend to exaggerate the fact as often as I can, the fact remains that, to put it simply: I simply am not an Englishman. Unfortunately, I am inbred Jed; an American, and I appreciate cowboy poetry, however much anyone else disapproves of it, darn it!

If I were a Literary critic who was asked to comment on August's work, here is what I would write: :notworthy:

Not all Englishmen are the same, Jed. Honestly, poetry on any level is wasted on me and my kind. Im just not moved by it. Its of no use to me whatsoever :dontknow:. Sorry mate, just being honest.

On the subject of which, here's another English climber. August, you need to go down to 11mm if you're thinking of a spiderjack. Keep your lines free of pitch or you'll wear out the clutch pretty fast. And a word of warning....you elbow or accidentally snag that main cam-lever, your in freefall in the blink of an eye. Seriously, be extra careful manhandling branches and logs across the front of your body. State of the art climbing aid, but it takes practice. Good luck:thumbup:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MBfyrzZzsvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reg said it right about accidental tripping the mechanism.

The workmanship and engineering that has gone into the Spider-Jack is absolutely impeccable, but I have some issues with its cons. Number one you can not install it mid-line. Major distraction! Second, the running part of the line must be tethered during descents, which, unless you abseil, almost always takes both hands, and that is very limiting. It's a futsy mechanism to boot, and timely to load and unload with cold hands, with gloves on, and up in the tree when you're in a tight spot, and tired. Accidental tripping of the mechanism during work situations, which Reg mentioned, is huge issue with me. Now, on the good side the spider Jack tends slack so very well, and you can move freely through the tree with it, almost too freely at times! For rec-climbing I'd say most those issues would not be a distraction.

Oddly, but not surprising, the old taught line hitch, and similar friction hitches of the past, have lesser issue in many respects. The biggest con with friction hitches is, by themselves, they don't tend slack worth a crap. But that was partially remedied in the mid 1990's, correct me if I'm wrong, by the advent of the minding pulley, which I believe Ken Palmer adapted in this work from some Nautical application. With the further development of the split-tail system, utilizing prussic cord friction hitches, in combo with the minding pulley, it revolutionized the old standard of rope access for work climbers!

Everything has it pros and cons, of course, but old rope technique, least in my opinion, is the most simple and foolproof in the long run, and it will always be there to serve us the best.

Old School Climber. Oh,yeah!

This is only views and opinion. Don't anybody get hot under the collar.

Back