August Hunicke Videos

The crane op I use does that. I haven't had picks over boom height, personally.

Good show. Smooth and not rushing, from the looks of it. Well within capacity.

What is to become of the logs?

Awesome crane, another excellent vid. Touching/slightly bumping the crane ain't no big deal - just try not to. I tend to like my sling higher with more butt weight - less movement when the release cut in made.

Glad you guys liked it. Feels good to nail the pretension either by perfect estimation of the squatter or by feathering it in as the moving picks load the boom. A couple of those could have been hooked smarter by the climber.

Foot throttle yep, but I don't use it much when feathering the pick. I have started to want a single line on long trips back up or down but mostly I still love the 2-part.
Logs were going to the mill Sean but weren't mine.

Honestly guys I was exhilarated and scared all day with the adventure and success and responsibility of it all.

Really nice work there August! your getting the hang of it and it will just be natural for you as you get more time behind the sticks

The only thing Id point out is what Butch said, choke a bit higher up on spar

Thanks ya, like I said a couple were obviously not hooked primo. I spoke up on site and then allowed them but afterward said with conviction in my own judgment, don’t do that again 8)

Thanks yeah, I noticed recently I was running the controls without looking a few times LOL.

That texture...Good for night-time operating...learn new stuff every day...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_writing...precursor to Braille. Gotta love Google.

I wondered if you cut that big piece, extending above the boom, as such just to get the top off the spar, since you weren't measuring down from the defect for a sawlog, as you were otherwise. Figured they'd be milled.

I have an upcoming job that would require the top to be taken off a fir like that, or chunked down to 90' or so (Manitex 22101).

What is the concern over picking a piece that is over the boom height, provided its butt heavy, and not 2-blocking?

I think some raise concerns about potential contact to the boom with blunt force.
Braille controls. Interesting. Maybe I could give them each a different smell too LOL.

Honestly guys I was exhilarated and scared all day with the adventure and success and responsibility of it all.

I spoke up on site and then allowed them but afterward said with conviction in my own judgment, don’t do that again 8)

Hey good on ya, its going great so far. I recommend to pay strong attention to that little voice in your head. The voice that is sometimes so quiet or in the background that it is almost unnoticeable. But it is there and if you consciously choose to be aware of it and pay attention to it, it will help keep you outta trouble. You know running a crane is an art unto itself. Guys do it for their whole career and they will always be picking up new things and learning a bit most every day.

There was an awesome thread on TB years ago by Tierson B. about a crane mishap they had, I think you'll get something out of it. http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/a-bad-day-at-boutte-tree-inc.24044/ He runs a top of the line tree company and has since upgraded to bigger cranes

In tree work there can be a tendency to go balls to the wall and rush a bit for the sake of production. With the crane, I would fight that mindset tooth and nail. Tree work is tricky and the crane adds another element of that to it. Of course it will double pay to take your time with the crane- you'll stay out of trouble, and the crane is so productive that you can afford to go a tad slower, a tad safer.

Good stuff Cory. I thought my aroma-braille comment would get more of a reaction. It’s so quirky weird funny. I’ve been watching Steven Wright videos.

Back