August Hunicke Videos

I gather Jomo is a crane killer.

Seems 150 extra pounds at a good picking radius is a limitation on an smaller crane. Less cushion.

Just thinking.

The single purpose of the craneball's keeping the cable taut enough to spool correctly without overlap.

Aug's new crane's nowhere near big enough, nor has enough stick to warrant a 300 lb ball.

It'd be overkill on such a small crane, and a pita for the climber to muscle around.

Jomo

Gawt dang, Jomo is correct re 150lb ball on that crane, says my crane guru. Though he wanted to know what size cable AH has, I dint know.

Spider leg was a waste of time on my pick in the vid there for sure. Was harder to set it down.

I agree definitely with the sentiment of continued vigilance cuz weird scenarios will pop up not matter the experience level of the op.

Lets be honest, a tied/dressed/set bowline within the strength limits of the rope is bullet proof.

Spider legs imo are extremely valuable when needed. Spreading out the weight/force is key on many a pick. Increased safety and smoothness which increases production over time

True Cory, unless you are using amsteel, right? Knots in amsteel greatly weaken the rope, where a cows hitch really doesn't have any force by the time you get to the half hitches... in pipe construction we use a form of the cow hitch called a boiler hitch to lift pipe with as little headroom as possible.

How much breaking strength does the rope retain when its worn?

Rope wears. Steel wears. Which is more predictable?

RB within spec is fine.

How much was the peak loading? How fast did this increase to peak-impact force occur? IDK, but I'm guessing that the faster load is applied, the less the fibers can stretch/ adjust most-evenly.

Video doesn't show a lot of details. August was right there. We don't know rope size or log weight.

Grant's Pass has a lot less rainfall/ precip than Olympia. That log would have probably been wetter and heavier here...my guess.

My point was in regard to being within specifications of tree work, followed up by the questions of how much strength was retained in the worn rope, and what the load was.

I totally trust Kyle for pipeline knowledge, not questioning that at all.

Clarification: the boiler hitch is used with chain, and captures the hook. Great trick for pulling fence posts and similar chain choking applications. My question was that Samson, the maker of amsteel, states specifically not to use knots in amsteel. I would provide a link, but it appears their website is down. That was my question, wouldn't a cow hitch retain more strength because it relies less on the holding of a knot, and more on wraps around the limb....?

I also haven't had time to watch it yet, so my question was specially for amsteel

Was 2 ropes. I think 1 was trex 3/4 the other was samson 3/4
I don't know how to use the scale etc with the crane yet. We did that job totally off the cuff with total noob, as in no knowledge or research of that crane at all, except reading the graphs and charts on the side of the machine. Joe said we were good for 6k there. I figure that log to be 1800 max. Those ropes are used to way heavier forces in my traditional rigging scenarios. The job was common sense no brainer to be there. Perfect for a 1st pick crash course. I'll know more soon.

Amsteel is significantly reduced by knots. A tensionless-anchor might be used. The piece will roll a bit, so will bend the amsteel, but minorly.

We pulled a bad, tipped cedar pulled with a little bulldozer on an island once. Running bowline on the worn end of the 1/2", 34,000 pound mbs straight-pull Amsteel broke right at the RB.

Wishing you well with your new crane. Hope it goes smoothly, and uneventfully.

What are you going to use for slings?

Guy just posted about a soil probe at HD, IIRC, that was cheap. Might be good for under outriggers away from developed area, and for septic systems.

PCtree punched through an abandoned, unfilled, unknown septic tank recently with an outrigger leg, but though fast maneuvering and heavy foot, swung an 8k log from over the house to a crash landing in the yard, and kept it upright.

Back