Atkins Diet

This guy is awesome, but he laid a lotta that mass down when he was on the needle, back in the eighties.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QxEUBeJhMP8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QxEUBeJhMP8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

frig that bro. Dave ain't on the needle. Maybe back in the 80s (like you said). But he works out hard. I have worked out on the bench next to him many a day in the years I worked out at HPG (Hyde Park Gym).

Even if it was the needle..... Gotta give it to him for hanging on to it sans needle for 20+ years

It is easy, just takes discipline. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dave ain't on the needle. Maybe back in the 80s (like you said).

And isn't that what I said?

No "maybes" to it. My beef is how he call himself "natural." Once you've geared up, you're NEVER natural, no matter how long you stay clean. And FTR, I have no problem with people using steroids.

The first post of this thread answers the question. ;)

Dang! It's been longer than I thought! :\:

The weird thing is I still have a roll of fat in my gut, I bet at least five pounds.

According to my weightlifter buddy... running may be counterproductive to weightloss. He claims walking at 3.6-3.8 clip on a treadmill will do it. Running taps into your muscles for energy, while walking burns just the fat. He reccomends weight training without rest in between sets/excercises. This will supposedly give you a good enough cardio workout without burning muscle. He also reccomends a protein shake immediately after working out...

I would imagine the little big of gut you have remaining is your body's (fat) reserve for your runs.

FWIW looking good!

THe first mile is walking at 2.5 while doing 8 sets of dumbell movements. Miles 2 to 4 are spent running, and the last mile is walking at 3.6 with a 10 incline setting.

I'm sorta doing all those thing your buddy suggest... I think.

Cool.

THe first mile is walking at 2.5 while doing 8 sets of dumbell movements. Miles 2 to 4 are spent running, and the last mile is walking at 3.6 with a 10 incline setting.

That is an excellent workout IMO. I do almost the same thing but in woods instead of tread mill. But, even though I've tried to build slowly, my achilles has recently gone nuts on me, so gotta ramp it back down. PITA.

You ever do too much too soon re excercise, MB?

I meant I've been walking ,then turned it into running and walking, and it was all good for awhile, but now my achilles is painful I assume from too much speed and or mileage increases, and I was just wondering if, on your road to fitness, you ever had any what could be called overtraining injuries?

No, so far my only injury was when I pulled a groin muscle using an ab wheel - knock on wood.

Did you increase speed/mileage just as you felt it appropriate or did you follow some guidelines or established workout?

Just curious. I have been injured running so many different times, it's ridiculous.

I started real slow and gradually increased everything at my leisure. Like leg lifts - I started at 20 and routinely added 5 reps and now I'm up to 100.

Experiment, and figure out what's best for YOU. The secret to all of it is perseverance, not so much what you do. You just gotta do it.

Cory before you run or work out at all you've gotta s-t-r-e-t-c-h.

You want to really find out how in or out of shape you are? Go to a regulation track and try to run 100 yards at a full sprint. I'm getting back to where I once was, but at first I swear to god it was almost like learning to run again.

I really would like a Treadclimber, but the entry level model is over 1500 bucks. 800 for my treadmill was enough for me.

Cory before you run or work out at all you've gotta s-t-r-e-t-c-h.

You want to really find out how in or out of shape you are? Go to a regulation track and try to run 100 yards at a full sprint. I'm getting back to where I once was, but at first I swear to god it was almost like learning to run again.

Yeah, sprinting is awesome. I try to mix up the workouts. Some people say sprinting is easier on the bod than lots of jogging cuz theres less steady pounding.

I always thought that if you want to lose weight you had to stay withing your target heart rate for a duration without going over and tapping into your muscle for energy. it doesnt matter if you run walk or jog as long as you keep your heart rate at it's prime efficency for the right amount of time.:?

Back