Arborist Position in Hawaii

treesandsurf

Treehouser
The position for Certified Arborist at the Harold L. Lyon Arboretum has been re-opened. For those who missed Leon's previous post, Lyon Arboretum is currently seeking a full time, qualifed arborist.

The arboretum is located on 194 acres of tropical rainforest on the island of Oahu, Hawai'i. The position has been re-opened to allow for more applicants and more time to fulfill the application requirements. I believe the opening will run through the end of the year (December 31, 2007). Here is a link to the job posting:

http://workatuh.hawaii.edu/zoom_job.php?8367

Please contact me if you have any questions. (jonperry@hawaii.edu)

Mahalo!

jp:)

you arent applying yourself Jon? and thanks for posting the 411, wonder who will be willing to move to HI to work trees? ... :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
you arent applying yourself Jon? and thanks for posting the 411, wonder who will be willing to move to HI to work trees? ... :)

I will probably put an application in, just in case. I've got two more semester though until finishing the degree so feel like it may be wiser to just get the school thing done with... after all i've only been in college for five years :lol:

jp:D

I would think about it if I didn't have elderly parents here and kids here. Oh and if I knew anything about tropical plants. ANd if I had a degree.

I am seriously thinking about applying for this. It would be really hard for me to detatch from the family business. I am qualified except for knowing absolutely nothing about palms and other tropical species. Although, the experience of working in a new place and learning new things might be worth it.

A bit over 2 grand a month after taxes. Do they at least pay into a retirement and offer health benefits? Also how many vacation and sick days? Any on-call requirements?
Just curious. I dont want to apply as I have no desire to live on a small rock in the middle of the ocean.

I wonder what's taking my bro, Kristian, so long to follow through ??? He insists that this is his next / last / dream job.
C'mon, Whiz !!!

A bit over 2 grand a month after taxes. Do they at least pay into a retirement and offer health benefits? Also how many vacation and sick days? Any on-call requirements?
Just curious. I dont want to apply as I have no desire to live on a small rock in the middle of the ocean.

Can you live on that salary there?

i thoought you were working there jon?

I am working there... but only part time (right now maybe two days a week). They are looking for a full time arborist, trying to build a team of tree folk I guess :)

I am seriously thinking about applying for this. It would be really hard for me to detatch from the family business. I am qualified except for knowing absolutely nothing about palms and other tropical species. Although, the experience of working in a new place and learning new things might be worth it.

There's no harm in applying FJR. Having experience or knowledge with tropical plants is a desired qualification but not mandatory. You'll learn them in no time working with tropical species on a day to day basis. It's also a lot of fun to learn a whole new group of plants, and there are tons of them at the arboretum 8) .

As far as salary/benefits goes: the posted salary is the bottom end of the pay scale. If you are offered the job you will have the opportunity to negotiate upwards from there a fair amount. Benefits include full medical/dental/vision, retirement plan, 21 days paid vacation annually, 21 days paid sick time annually, 6 free credit hours of classes at the university every semester. This is a state job. The union will ask you to join, but you are not required to do so.

Don't worry about knowing the tropical species. As Jon said it's not mandatory and you'll learn them fast enough.

Wow. Can anyone spell "side work"?

Side-work.
verb
-an activity where one who has a steady job but because of the low pay is going steadily broke. They must augment this pitiful paycheck by filling in the precious hours away from that steady job to make additional money in order to fullfill ones financial goals in life.
Usually results in failed attempts to collect Workman's Comp when/ if they get injured doing side-work, or, become divorced due to never being home.
8)

Side-work.
verb
-an activity where one who has a steady job but because of the low pay is going steadily broke. They must augment this pitiful paycheck by filling in the precious hours away from that steady job to make additional money in order to fullfill ones financial goals in life.
Usually results in failed attempts to collect Workman's Comp when/ if they get injured doing side-work, or, become divorced due to never being home.
8)
Frans, gets my vote & recommendation for Tree House Scroog:)

Can you live on that salary there?

Didn't read the job opening, but a few months ago the local paper reported on a study just completed on cost of living on Oahu. (Honolulu) A family of four needs the breadwinner to make a gross pay of $25.17 an hour to live at a modest level. You will not be able to buy a median priced 3 bedroom home with that income. No wonder most households here have husband and wife working, some with a 2nd job. It is NOT cheap to live here, although I know some people living on a net income of $1200 a month. Single, lives with parents, no car.

Back