Arbor Day !!

We took the day off; well, not really. It's a maintenance/quoting/stump grinding day. So we didn't slay any trees today and returned some stumps into the soil. So that make us neither a + or - to the killing/planting equation. On Arbor Day, we generally try to volunteer in a city park or public library grounds or the like, doing pro bono tree trimming or tree climbing demonstrations. But this year it snuck up on us and we feel like our tongues are hanging out -- even before the busy season gets fully rolling. I'll celebrate with family tomorrow, walking around our Tree City USA and identify some trees with the children ("Can you say, 'co-dominant'?).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is by every measure my favorite "Little Rascals" episode. I know Mayer Tree (Boston) has a bash open to all at their yard every year. live Band , Chow , Crane Rides , and of course the burn pile ... Sounds cool.

The boys planted 2200.
Still got another 15000 to go.

Should about make up for this winters logging.

can you get a video of that Stig? That has to be an efficient process. when you say boys. two boys, ten boys, 100 boys... how big of trees and what sort? in straight lines or shotgun?

Dude, we are planting in the forest. 2 sitka, 1 grand fir right now, in a completely straight line.
Straight is very important for later maintenance, so we are aiming for not more than 2" deviation.

1000 per man/day is par for the course for us
Burnham has told me, those numbers are the same in the US Forestry Service..

Lil' tiny things, but you still need to work like a machine to do that number.

Actually, I've had a harder time teaching that to apprentices than the whole felling to scale deal.

I'll go make you a video, when they start planting in the forest at our" castle, too far to drive to where they work right now.

Back