High school arborculture courses?!

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I just found “Bristol Aggie Arbor” YouTube Chanel. Apparently they teach high schoolers how to become an arborist! The videos are 7 years old at this point but it’s really amazing that a high school like this exists. It’s also wise for the parents to send them there in lieu of a regular high school so their kid can become a doctor or a lawyer.

I just looked, and VoTech has a horticulture curriculum, which covers floral design. That's pretty close, right? :^D

Arboriculture is a cool course to have available to kids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went to Harford Technical High School for carpentry and ended up taking the plumbing curriculum. Some of the blue collar trades at that school are being replaced with computer based white collar careers. It’s a shame. A principal at a tech high school in Delaware said it’s mostly parent driven. They want Johnny to wear a custom suit to work and drive a Lexus. I tried the suit and desk job (company suv, no Lexus) and was miserable. Much more rewarding to open a sewer main or remove a tree.

Yes, Harford Tech offers horticultural training and landscaping. You can grow flowers and make arrangements with them. It would be so cool if they had an arb program.

The problem with an arb program nowadays is that it is (and probably always will be) a niche career path for most. Many in my area think of tree guys as advanced lawn-scrapers, so it's difficult to truly portray how different (and necessary) we really are. The majority of this progressive infested area we live in looks down on important, blue-collar work, not realizing how important and needed it really is. When I talk to many white-collar customers in my area, they all have pipedreams of little Jane/Johnny becoming the next Bill Gates, Warren Buffet or the next scientist/doctor that finally cures a disease, and that can only come from being tech-savvy (ie: lazy, unproductive and usually attention-distracted). It's a sad state of affairs, and it will probably take the upcoming downfall of our current society before programs like arb, logging or others could actually gain any kind of momentum here.

Last edited:
Back