Anyone ever do this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup, you need to get it. Besides being a wealth of info, Jerry could use the positive cash flow right about now. His foot STILL won't let him go back to work!

I have the fundamentals book, but I do need to get more!

That's a neat little trick MB. It seems like it is in the realm of acceptable risk so why not spice up the day a little bit.

It's gotta be nice to work with no snow and ice all over the place :)

Although it may have looked like it, I telling ya'll there was no "risk" whatsoever.

I'm gonna try it too, looks interesting. I use the deep face cut on long pieces fairly often.

And who spent most of this last year ambulatory?

Real bright.

Lighten up Reed. You still have friends here. Don't stir stuff up on purpose.

I used the undermining the center of gravity trick yesterday. I got that from Roger as well.

Good one Butch, learned me a new little trick. I have never tried that up in a tree blocking down wood. I've done a similar thing down on the ground with sucess on American Elm cutting two or three notches with thick hinges and not cutting through them. Each notch turning the tree away from a target or getting it into a better position for chipping.

I see nothing wrong with this technique. Pine holds a good hinge for doing this. A tree with good hinge characteristics is ideal for this. A guy with a fair amount experience will have no trouble making a judgement call on when and where to use this.

I give it a :thumbup:

Don't ban Reed Butch. He may stir up trouble but he does give out some very useful info in the tree care threads.

I think he threw that one liner in there to get your blood pressure up a notch or two. Forget it.

I used the undermining the center of gravity trick yesterday. I got that from Roger as well.
Good O'l Roger is getting credit for introducing something that has been around for some time. I can remember my Grandpa explaining this to me as a little one. Said it was used a lot in camps back in Canada where he was from. Had no clue as to what he was talking about then. I was just a little dude at the time.

Another method, if the drop area is large enough is to side load in the direction you want to go. This will even work for you going against a bit of a lean.
It's done by of course leaving branches on the tree growing in the direction of your desired lay.

Then you just stack more cut limbs on that side for weight. A rope for a groundy to pull with is always better. But if like myself you some times work alone this option can be fast & helpful. Especially on pines & some oaks.

I'm thinking that MB wanted to make a long section fall flat and stick when it hit the ground? By 'breaking' the spring out of it with the cuts?
Is that right?

I'm thinking that MB wanted to make a long section fall flat and stick when it hit the ground? By 'breaking' the spring out of it with the cuts?
Is that right?
No he said he was feeling sub par {lazy} & didn't want to push them over. I think ?

Anybody in the business that's been doing it long enough has had the occasional short section tip and not break the hinge. It just hangs there. Like in MBs pic. The tricky part comes with cutting it off so it leaves the cut square. It's too easy to cut off one corner and have that section veer to the holding side. In tight quarters it can present some risk.

Can't say that I've ever set out and done purposely what Butch illustrates though, but that's not saying I haven't done it at all. Fact is a couple of times I took advantdage of the favor that cocked-over section gives. But it was just the situatuion. Can it be called a method? Some people could say so, other not.

Playing around, like in Darin's pic. That's fun.

Remember, I did it all for shits and giggles. If I was at all concerned about it I woulda put a rope on it. I was just frigging around, muggin' for the camera. ;)

That's a new one to me.
I'll try it sometime. I really don't see any danger so long as you stay out from under it.
Pretty nifty.

Of course being somewhat of a ground bound half-fast tree type,I've never tried it .I have however cut the wedge too shallow and the hinge too wide and hung them at about a 45 degree angle.Classic example of a brain fart.

That way you get to wade back in and lick your calf over again,as my wifey dear would say.:)

I've a photo of Oxman's son standing out on the end of a cypress stick that I had stop at 30 degrees off horizontal.....he wouldn't do a handstand on it, though:O

rbtree, could you provide a picture? Your photo albums show so many pictures, it is too hard to see the one you are talking about

Never tried that but have had piece hang up like that.
alot of times if we leave a tree for firewood I will cut it from in the bucket in to firewood size. Sometimes ill stack 3-4 chunks or whatever I can reach from one position of the bucket ontop of each other. see how many I can get, then push them all at once. usually small stuff, 6-10" diameter, nothing big.

There are lots of different types of trees you can lean over that way. We did a cherry tree that was over some landscaping. I cut a series of narrow faces and had the tree hanging parallel to the ground at about 5' and then just limbed it up. My pict was just for fun but I have put it to practical use.

i have also tipped small trees part way over and limbed and bucked a feww feet off the ground. its nice to stand straight and work

I know, my ears have been burning ever since I posted them. HAR. Like I GAF.

Anybody in the business that's been doing it long enough has had the occasional short section tip and not break the hinge. It just hangs there. Like in MBs pic. The tricky part comes with cutting it off so it leaves the cut square. It's too easy to cut off one corner and have that section veer to the holding side. In tight quarters it can present some risk.

Playing around, like in Darin's pic. That's fun.

Here's one a few years back where I hung one up...didn't mean, too, for sure. It's an ugly cut, I know...it's like Darin and blood...if you can't handle it, don't look.

This is not a freeze frame...it got stuck like this. I never really thought I'd have an excuse to post such a f-up but here it is....( I got it down, OK, but I scratched my head a bit trying to cipher what happened.)

Back