Anybody cable pines?

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 34
  • Views 4K
I agree. Though that evil, s#%@ that you and others in part of the country deal with is far, far worse. One of my many hard lessons learned in LA was that I may not get Poison oak, But P. ivy will make me suffer bad.

I agree with Butch, don't over-think it. Some cabling as high as possible combined with a 20% crown reduction and thinning will prevent failure in all but the worst storms.

Here in WA, they've actually added English ivy to the noxious weed list because it's so invasive. In spite of that however, I saw some for sale at a nursery yesterday. :roll: I say whoever plants that stuff is dumb enough to deserve what they get.

I agree with Butch, don't over-think it. Some cabling as high as possible combined with a 20% crown reduction and thinning will prevent failure in all but the worst storms.

Here in WA, they've actually added English ivy to the noxious weed list because it's so invasive. In spite of that however, I saw some for sale at a nursery yesterday. :roll: I say whoever plants that stuff is dumb enough to deserve what they get.

Unfortunately, they usually end up "sharing" it with the rest of us...:(

You are ivyless on the left coast?? How nice .

I live in the walnut/black cherry belt .Ivy and cherry go together like ugly on ape . 50 percent of the time a cherry will have ivy on it . I've never seen it on a walnut,the ivy must not like it or something .

In the woods it seems the grape vines like cherry also .I wonder what all that is about .:?

Walnut is too acidic or something like that.. And yes if ya got cherry trees, you got PI and virginia creeper growing close by.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Poison ivy doesn't grow on the west coast, but we do get poison oak!

love
nick

You can sat THAT again! PI doesn't bother me but after a trip out there I was eaten UP by PO... it sucked.

Well we don't have Poison oak here in Hawaii but we do have flesh eating philidendron, which is pretty nasty!

In this case I'm assuming you would still follow the 2/3rd's distance from union to top for position of the cable??

jp:D

I wouldn't necessarily follow that rule. I would install them as high as possible, using the diameter of the spar to dictate the height. I don't want it to be too skinny.

Walnut is too acidic or something like that.. And yes if ya got cherry trees, you got PI and virginia creeper growing close by.

Walnut releases toxins, its hard to grow grass near them nevermind ivy! Good riddance. I worked in Ivy/bittersweet/grapevine (not PI) covered trees all day today, sucks!

Back