Cutting EHS cable

rumination

Migratory Hippie Arbolist
I'm curious what tools people are using to cut 3/8" EHS cable. What works well and what doesn't work well?

Actually, I already know some things that don't work so well, which is why I'm asking...:|:

We have these: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Recreational-Gear/Zipline-Hardware_2/Wire-Cutter At $190 they are the most our manager would spend

media.nl

He should have bought these: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Recreational-Gear/Zipline-Hardware_2/Wire-Cutter-1586

media.nl

What is weird is that while the second link, the larger ones (#16), say they DONT cut EHS cable but the smaller ones dont say anything about it. The small ones cut EHS and cleaner than anything I ever used but it takes some serious thigh pinching effort. I have a hard time imagining that the #16s can cut a 5/8" common grade cable but not a 1/4" EHS cable... Weird.

Anyway the small ones, Felco, C9s work pretty well. Like I said EHS is a bear but it does it. Anything else, like common grade, number 9 wire, etc they slice through like butter. Expensive though.

cordless-angle-grinder-101907-3048015.jpg

Angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. We have the c-9's for backup. Worst case scenario, you can cut the 3/8 EHS stand by strand with the c-9.

bolt cutters, 16" or so. pain in the butt. it usually works like nick says, thigh master squeeze and cutting half the strands at a time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
bolt cutters, 16" or so. pain in the butt. it usually works like nick says, thigh master squeeze and cutting half the strands at a time.

Basically, this is what I have done. And it sucks. Especially for a weakling like myself, doing this up in the tree is always a struggle.

Anyone tried a cordless sawzall with a metal cutting blade? Seems like it might be a little less wild than the angle grinder.

I know this sounds crazy, but wrap the area a few times with electrical tape, seems to make the cuts easier and cleaner. I've always used heavy duty bolt cutters.

jp:D

High strength guy bar is one tough SOB to cut .We had a set of compound jaw SK Porter cutters but anything over 3/8" was a beech .You could cut 1/2" but it took two people on the handles .

The largest I ever installed was 5/8" for an elevated pipe rack used to hold steam lines .Cut that with a torch .That's the job I ran the outrigger down on the apprentices foot .Luckily no damage except the top of his Redwing boot .Could have been bad .

Now that im thinking more clearly, id call it impossible in the tree. Nick, one hit with a sledge, several with a smaller hammer. But it doesn't take 30 whacks.

Thats pretty cool. I usually have the cables cut to measurement on the ground anyway. Using the climbing line and two knots is an easy way for climber and ground man to communicate the desired length.

A pyrotechnic cutter ?
I saw that many years ago. It was an innovation on sailing ships for cutting in emergency the wire guys when the mast breaks down (to avoid that the broken mast wrecks the hull).
Basically, it's a tube with a small hook at one end, to catch the wire rope. At the other end, inside the tube, a charge sends a hardened knife toward the hook, so quickly that the knife cuts throw the guy wire.
It's a one shot gear for this use, but it can be used in awkward position, with only one hand, with no fulcrum at all. Perfect for tree work.
Probably expensive for a job with many cuts, but I guess there is some industrial application with multi-use tools (like the nails gun for concrete or steel beams).

Back