Any new stuff at TCI?

• Thread starter treetrash
  • Start date
  • Replies 88
  • Views 13K
Glad you asked, I still can't see what he's on about.

Do lawns in California fix nitrogen in some way or is it an insinuation to fertilizers being used on the lawn? And if so, do you think the issue is with inorganic fert or just all high N fert?

I was just fooling around. I think frans is talking about excessive nitrogen being used on lawns having a negative effect on trees. Excessive potassium can also have negative effects.

Did anybody take any equipment pictures at the expo. I was planning on attending and got some unexpected delays in my schedule which prevented me from going.

I will agree that most lawns are excessively fertilized and watered around my area. California I could not speak of, but I would guess its the same. Got to have the greenest yard on the block right.

What about that tree next to your house that is stone dead and rotting?

As for the grcs If you save 4 hrs per week with it, its paid for in a month no problem. Work smart not hard.

I was just fooling around. I think frans is talking about excessive nitrogen being used on lawns having a negative effect on trees. Excessive potassium can also have negative effects.

It is hard to tell from his grumpy anti-social way what he is on aboot.

Nitrogen is the problem so he mentions compost tea (also high N) :?

Kelp is rather low N yet high P.

:wall:

Studies on mycorrhizae show that the average amount of species introduced is 64.
While it's understood that each species of tree has its own species of mycor, I believe that the introduction of myco into urban soils can & does make a difference.
The main argument seems to be that the myco already exist, & needs a release... much like trapped nutrients in an off-balance PH soil.
Not so, IMHO.
Michigan (southeastern, at least) is nothing but CLAY. Intrducing mycorrhizae is not snake oil. It's a step (one of many) in an attempt to ammend the soil within realistic boundaries.

I was defensive from Treelookers assult on me.

When I say 'excessive N" I was referring to what your typical homeowner does when they go to the hardware store and buys a product high in quick release N. and then sprays it on the lawn where the tree is also growing.

As for the Mycor, again it is situational. But overall remember that NO PLANT CAN GROW WITHOUT IT.

Is there a tree? Then it is getting Mycor. Otherwise it would not be there at all.
You would have an empty spot with bare earth.

Yes you can amend poor soils and Mycor. can do some good. However in my area at least, the basic problems are more closely related to other factors than simple Mycor.

For example: you can apply liq. or powder Mycor. until you are blue in the face, but if the fungus does not have a receptive environment (good soils and protective mulch), it will not survive and thrive.

TC3 mentions clay soils which can be amended by a whole host of things, Myco only being a small part.

I think you guys are being unfriendly. All I am trying to do is learn. Whats the big deal?
Unwilling to school me?

See my thread 'Mycor'

I think you guys are being unfriendly. All I am trying to do is learn. Whats the big deal?
Unwilling to school me?

See my thread 'Mycor'

Frans, You knothead. I am wounded. I consider you a true friend. You were one of thse who gave me good feedback when I queried about New Tribe saddles years ago. Because of your response I bought one. I harass you because I like you and find you to be a marvelously grumpy victim. I DON"T want to see that disgusting group hug picture but Frans please know that you ARE appreciated.....ya knothead.::lol:

As I understand it (pardon if this is elemental to some), Mycorrhizae are a beneficial fungi that have a symbiotic relationship with tree roots. That means that each party benefits...
The myco benefit because they feed on roots & therefore have a host in which to feed on ; they're happy.
The trees' response to this fungi feeding on their roots is to produce more hair roots >>> a goodness. Thus, the term symbiotic >>> it means that both parties benefit.
Good enough.
Do trees need Mycorrizae fungus ? Not any more that you or I need the common cold floating around to build our immunity. But it sure friggin' helps, no ???
Myco is not snake oil. For Crissakes, it's us taking nature out of nature & selling it back to us >>> as NATURE.
Forget the Circle of Life. Game over. We're trying like hell to re-create the conditions under which our trees lived a hundred years ago.
Why is that 'snake oil' ???
Sell us leaf compost, kelp, miconutrients, whatever it takes.
We have manipulated the enivronment to the extent that these measures are necessary.

There are overall reductions in populations and ammending on the Beech families have presented measurable results.

Also, what they can do is literally contact moisture, translocate it into the hair roots of the tree that's providing the carbohydrates in return. In a sense, many trees could never survive without them.

As I understand it (pardon if this is elemental to some), Mycorrhizae are a beneficial fungi that have a symbiotic relationship with tree roots. That means that each party benefits...
The myco benefit because they feed on roots & therefore have a host in which to feed on ; they're happy.
The trees' response to this fungi feeding on their roots is to produce more hair roots >>> a goodness. Thus, the term symbiotic >>> it means that both parties benefit.
Good enough.
Do trees need Mycorrizae fungus ? Not any more that you or I need the common cold floating around to build our immunity. But it sure friggin' helps, no ???
Myco is not snake oil. For Crissakes,

My understanding of the relationship betwix roots and mycor. is that roots are unable on their own to uptake nutrients.
They require this 'agent' Mycor., to enable the roots to uptake nutrients.

Without Mycor, trees cannot survive.

I say 'snake oil' because each and every tree (with the exception of some kind of weird plant(s) from Australia), has this fungus present.
Sure some soils are deficient, but the majority of stressed and declining trees are deficient because of other factors unrelated to Mycor.

All the studies I have read point to new plantings or plantings within greenhouses where the soil is sterile.

Am I incorrect?

this is the product i use on stressed trees, pre and post construction, and new installs

My understanding of the relationship betwix roots and mycor. is that roots are unable on their own to uptake nutrients.
They require this 'agent' Mycor., to enable the roots to uptake nutrients.

Without Mycor, trees cannot survive.

I say 'snake oil' because each and every tree (with the exception of some kind of weird plant(s) from Australia), has this fungus present.
Sure some soils are deficient, but the majority of stressed and declining trees are deficient because of other factors unrelated to Mycor.

All the studies I have read point to new plantings or plantings within greenhouses where the soil is sterile.

Am I incorrect?
Jumping in the middle here
Shigo taught me, Trees cannot live without the symbiotic partnership they have with Mycors. Native Mycor fungi is alway's present except where humans have killed/sterilized/poisoned the soil. There are over 5000 types of fungi not all have been studied completely. Living soil is still largly a mystery to humans.
I believe the "snakeoil" mycors to be beneficial in some situations probably less than more. The problem I have with them is my understanding that they may not overwinter, in MN anyways and that the native's will usually out compete them eventually . Experts do not agree on there overall efectiveness and delivery systems using city chlorinated water may kill them. I think they do help in the right situations and they certainly do no harm (?), I do remember Shigo telling us that you could go out and collect some forest soil and incorporate that into your planting if you believed it to be lacking in mchors for some reason.

my2cents from the little I know about the subject, and my prideful picture of a great tree teacher

What is that crazy shirt he's wearing? Air guitar with a tree? LOL!

10-4 a one of a kind "Alex playing a Tree guitar" Tshirt. We gave that to him during a 3 day MN workshop in 1990. I never could have imagined as a tree climber, I would be looking at trees under a microscope. I learned more about trees from him in those 3 days then I ever have prior or since. God rest his soul.

Sorry derail

Last edited:
you could go out and collect some forest soil and incorporate that into your planting
Bingo. And Frans, there are also studies on using the packaged stuff on mature trees by Bartlett and independent researchers.

Awesome pix, TNT !
Weird question : I was working a property this past summer where my client had a pile of woodchips left over from spring (he used them as mulch). When I went to disburse the pile, it was full of gold-colored strands of fungus, like what Reed had described in an old thread as being Mycorrhizae ?
Was it myco, or some other fungus ? It was interesting.

This is because with using the GRCS, I am now able to have just one person working the ropes and keeping the landing zone clear.

Every tree is a two (2) man tree. One (1) man in the tree (me) and one (1) man working the ropes and staging the brush.
I am not understanding how the GCRS removes one groundman from the picture any more so than the use of a regular porty?
If you need to lift or pull a limb I can see it. But in every day work where one just needs the friction for control I am not getting it.

Back