Any new stuff at TCI?

• Thread starter treetrash
  • Start date
  • Replies 88
  • Views 13K
I paid 2375 to get my grcs shipped 3 day from aerial equipment in illinois.

They advertise them for around 21 and some change in tree trader all the time.

Well shoot!
Hollywood, I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt but now that Hoppy has vouched for you I'll just have to put you on the suspect list.

:P

I saw telescoping pole tools sold by marvin and wolfgarten and can't wait to try them. TC is right though; the real value is to be had in the seminars and in talking tree care with others. That is, unless you know everything already and can't bother with head gear.

The GRCS is a nice tool if you do a lot of storm but seems an extravagant expenditure for small companies. It's hard to imagine someone forking out thousands to save an hour or two now and then, but claiming to be too poor to buy educational gear.

O and if you want to see pictures of these gadgets so bad, why not attend? The cost is small compared to the benefit, and compared to what a good climber should be making.

...The GRCS is a nice tool if you do a lot of storm but seems an extravagant expenditure for small companies. It's hard to imagine someone forking out thousands to save an hour or two now and then

With my business, I have 2-3 guys who help me out on jobs.
The GRCS has been one of the LEAST EXPENSIVE tools for my small business.
This is because with using the GRCS, I am now able to have just one person working the ropes and keeping the landing zone clear.

Every tree is a two (2) man tree. One (1) man in the tree (me) and one (1) man working the ropes and staging the brush.

This has saved me so much more money than having to break out the 'dog and pony show' of 3 or more guys working a tree.

So for me TreeLooker, the GRCS has been a lifesaver, not an 'extravagence'.

To each his own I guess.

I imagine if you had one, you would find more places to use one. I never bought one but then again, he who knows a lot needs little. ;)

So for me TreeLooker, the GRCS has been a lifesaver, not an 'extravagence'.
So who would be dead without it? I've used em and seen the advantages, but have no more lives with than without it. It is nice to lift big wood just by cranking a little handle, yes.

Is this what you are selling? If so, your endorsement should have a disclaimer. 8)

O and you're welcome, Richard. pm me some time to let me know the most and least useful things you heard, ok?

Is this what you are selling? If so, your endorsement should have a disclaimer. 8)

You dont know me. Check out the TB thread on the GRCS if you want to know what I am about in regards to the GRCS.
I also have a fiddle block, port-a-crap, and the knowledge to 'take a wrap' if I need to.
:)

I've never used a GRCS, but I sure hope to one day. Really the price seems quite cheap to me when you look at all of the equipment needed to run a tree service/care company.

The GRCS is a nice tool if you do a lot of storm but seems an extravagant expenditure for small companies.

:? I think an "extravagent expenditure" for a small company would be something like buying a brand new $45k truck used only for estimates or general foremans.--That would be a good example of being extravagent. (Which by the way, I see Wright Tree Service, Davey Tree Service, and Asplundh doing in my area).

However, the GRCS is a great tool for all sizes of compmanies. I am a "small" tree service and I have been running the GRCS for a year now. I use it 1 to 2 days per week. And when I do use it, I piece out some huge stuff. I used to us 4:1 mechanical advantage to lift stuff when rigging, but that got old and inefficient. This tool put me at an advantage to compete with the "larger" companies and get 9 of the 10 bids I do for removals.

Perhaps we have different trees here which means different demands for the GRCS. If you see the GRCS to be used only for storm jobs, then that is fine. However, trust me when I say that this "small" business didn't buy a GRCS to impress people with a shiny thing that attaches to a customer's tree.:what:

I've never used a GRCS, but I sure hope to one day. Really the price seems quite cheap to me when you look at all of the equipment needed to run a tree service/care company.

You're right. My GRCS has the Harken #46 winch on it. Any body know how much it costs stand alone? At this web site it costs $1,769.25 dollars.--For just the winch! So, when I see it this way I do agree that the GRCS is very reasonable in price.:thumbup:

Oops! I don't want to hi-jack the thread. Sorry. ;)

Where are those pics!!!:/:

I have attended at least 12 of these expos, going back to my first one, called the Arbor Age Expo in 1989. I have attended many seminars and have benefited from maybe 5. Most are so boring that I and many others walk out. I attended one rigging seminar and the speaker spent the entire time talking about this very complicated removal that his company did. From the slide show it did not look that difficult to me and thought most of the fancy rigging was unnecessary.

I go to these expos to look at new equipment and visit friends. I haven't attended a seminar at the expos since 2001, although I have attended 3 since then. I haven't attended a seminar given by Guy (treelooker), so my comments on boring and useless information does not pertain to him.

re seminars, it is hit and miss and the misses are not fun. i went to hear this guy dunster, whose writing is really good, talk about tree risk. Extremely basic stuff, read every word from the slides, a snoozer. Went to hear him the next day to talk about using pictures as evidence and he had the times screwed up, thought he had extra so he repeated much of the previous day's talk before rushing through some photography stuff.

I was a little ticked, and let him and TCI know. If talks are boring and useless, all we can do is to write detailed comments and hope for better next time.

No Deva, next time I see Frans it won't be a hugfest, but I will shake his hand and wish him well. If he wants to turn off his processor and labor under delusions like the 1/3 rule guiding the arboricultural universe, well, he's got company.

smiley's talk on roots and risk was good, the mycorrhiza talk was very good.

Guy, I wasn't privy to any prior discussion between you and Frans about the 1/3 rule but I'm going to stick my nose in just for giggles. Shigo and others have advanced arboriculture by orders of magnitude for those who will pay attention. For the most part ANSI A300 is good sensible stuff that promotes good tree care practices................. But rules of thirds are a highly defensible fallback position. From triangulation to determine distances, the use of the triangle in structural bracing, photography,architecture, the Fibonacci series, ancient viticulture to arboriculture. Rules involving 1/3 or a close approximation simply work. I believe that is because the universe was designed that way but for whatever reason even where a 1/3 rule is less that the absolute best in some area it is usually at least workable. I have no quarrel with our 25% pruning "rule" but we know that it may be too much for a senescent tree and even 50% on a young tree that is mostly symplast may be acceptable to correct a structural defect. When you wrangle all the numbers 1/3 probably would work just as well as an average acceptable pruning ratio as 25%....but since many tree people are given to excess and many clients want things pruned to extreme excess the 25% rule is helpful in keeping removal of leaf bearing wood down to acceptable levels for the trees.

No Deva, next time I see Frans it won't be a hugfest, but I will shake his hand and wish him well. If he wants to turn off his processor and labor under delusions like the 1/3 rule guiding the arboricultural universe, well, he's got company.

ahhh shucks thanks :wall:

Treelooker, are you sure you have the right person? First you mentioned me being a dealer for the grcs, and now you say I adhere to the 1/3 rule of removing material from a living tree?

You got the wrong guy friend.

My stance on pruning is, their are no absolutes. :surprise:

Each species of tree is unique, and each tree is in a unique stage of development which effects it's health, and the amount of material which can safely be removed.

I would say maybe 20 years ago I would have removed 1/3 of the canopy of a tree, but that is 20 year old techniques. Not what I do today by any means.
To give you an idea of what my philosophy in regards to my business practives is, I dont have picture of a chainsaw or bulldozer or crane in my biz logo.
I have a hand holding a tree:

Peace,

Frans

ps: just for contention sake, my views on Mycor are that for the most part, it is snake oil. I focus on compost teas, azomite rock powder, sea kelp and a host of other things to mix up a cocktail and apply with my soil injector. I take soil tests fairly often.

My experiance is that urban trees in decline (with exceptions, remember my 'no absolutes' rule?), suffer from things like soil compaction, grade changes, excessive Nitrogen, and other environmental changes far more than the soil being so sterile that a tree cannot grow at all. After all, the tree would not even be there without Mycor. right?

That is perhaps the best (and shortest) summary of the 1/4 vs 1/3 pruning debate I've ever heard. Just wanted to give props Stumper. Well put!

Glad you asked, I still can't see what he's on about.

Do lawns in California fix nitrogen in some way or is it an insinuation to fertilizers being used on the lawn? And if so, do you think the issue is with inorganic fert or just all high N fert?

Back