Any new stuff at TCI?

• Thread starter treetrash
  • Start date
  • Replies 88
  • Views 13K
I am not understanding how the GCRS removes one groundman from the picture any more so than the use of a regular porty?
If you need to lift or pull a limb I can see it. But in every day work where one just needs the friction for control I am not getting it.

One man to hold the limb with a porty and the other to nibble off brush to clear a small landing zone.
One guy can do this effortlessly with the GRCS because it is self tailing.

Their are other examples, but that is the first one I thought of.

A crane is the ultimate lifting lowering device, a GRCS is next in line, a porty is next from that, figure eight after that, taking wraps at the bottom of the list.

----I am not a salesman for the GRCS. Just an enthusiastic user of one, TreeLooker. :P 8)

When you wrap a rope around a porty or branch or any type of drum, the rope exiting has to be either held by the operator to keep it from slipping or tied off.
The grcs grips the tail end of the rope so you can continue to tighten the rope, but it will not slip and loosen.

A power winch, like on trucks or a chipper, has one end of the cable bolted to the winch drum so the winch can pay out the cable.
With the grcs, you can take the bight of the rope, flip it onto the drum, and the drum will hold/grip the rope.

dont know if that is a good explanation or not....

However, you can tie off a porty lick-a-d-split.

The self tailing feature is most useful for lifting, IMO.

Nobivy, I agree. It is good to have the right tool for the job in your arsenal. They all have their place

However, you can tie off a porty lick-a-d-split.

The self tailing feature is most useful for lifting, IMO.
There are things you can do with a GCRS that are difficult to impossible with any thing else.

But Carl makes my point. One guy can still lower a good size limb & tie it off using a while suspended using a regular porty. Then the groundy can come forward & cut.

I have not yet been convinced about the GCRS. I have used one many times. Not having it, I can come up with other options. Not as fast but not so slow that I would consider spending $2300. Not at this point any way.

Porty is an art.
P.S. Tell me.... does anyone really use more than 1 1/2 wraps ??? That's not the norm, fo' sho'.

I did, once. The climber told me to take two wraps (3/4" bull rope) and "let it run" I did, and when the 40" DBH pine he was in stopped flailing, he thought maybe only one wrap next time.:O :lol:

Dave

Wouldn't the tree already have the mycor in it's roots when it comes from the nursery?
10-4, "With" its mycor. Trees cannot survive without them.
Strange that the creator made tree roots that cannot absorb the essential nutrients they need. Symbiosis, amazing higher order

Last edited:
"Trees cannot survive without them.
Strange that the creator made tree roots that cannot absorb the essential nutrients they need. Symbiosis, amazing higher order"

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, it makes me wonder which came first sometimes.

As far as the GRCS goes, RR, it's like a lot of things we can get by without, until you step up to the level where it's needed. I thought $2400 was a lot too until I figured out the amount of time the machine saves in the long run. The cost, really, is nothing compared to what you lay out for all other business expenses. And that machine will make you money.

Back