Are there any Trappers in the House ???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
His trailer had leaf springs and was heavier duty.

Maybe he went overkill with his and maybe I'm not getting proper perspective when viewing your picture but it just seemed to me that the old mans welder was a little bigger.

Keep in mind, it was an older machine.

Tree09,

- Ok, it was bugging me not knowing just what kind of welder I sold.

So I called the guy (family friend), who bought it and he tells me it was a 1959 Lincoln generator / welder.

He had bought another one from my dad when he was alive and it was the same thing but was a 1969 of the same model.

The one I sold him, my dad had rebuilt it some years back and that was one of the reasons it sold easily even with a seized motor.

The new owner spent over $1700 in just parts alone but now its up & running strong.

He tells me he has 3 guys that keep bugging him to sell it offering $4000. I don't se that happening any time soon.

Yup, it's a 200. I'm not sure exactly what year they switched, but it could have been what they call a shorthood, or possibly a blueface, or maybe even a redface. These are all highly sought after machines due to the massive amounts of copper used in the windings, which give a super steady arc and arc characteristics needed for xray pipe welding, especially pipeline downhill. The machines weigh around 1200 pounds or so, so Lincoln switched to torsion axles later down the line, but I've seen ones with leaf springs before too. I'm not sure my trailer is an orginal either. If it was an sae 300 or bigger it would have had a 6 cylinder. They still make comparable machines today, diesel, and they msrp around 17k, which is why the older ones are still around, they are simple and work forever. You will pay more for gasoline, but you can buy a lot of gas for the price, and the welding arc is arguably better on the older ones. Not to mention can be repaired in the field with a ratchet set by your typical hillbilly :lol:

This past Tuesday evening, I had attended a trappers council meeting up in Aylmer Ontario and learned is isn't going to be a good year for the guys who ship their fur to North America Fur Auction (NAFA).

Seems that NAFA isn't accepting shipped fur this season for some sort of legal reason and will not be holding their annual fur auction.

And as a result of all this, the Ontario Fur Managers Association (OFMA), has cancelled the 2020 "Trappers Rendezvous" that was to have been held in a place called, Sioux Lookout, in Northern Ontario.

So regardless if your Canadian or American, the only place accepting your shipped fur this year will be Fur Harvesters Auction (FHA) located in North Bay Ontario.
We were told at the meeting that even though NAFA and the FHA are competitive auction houses, FHA has agreed to accept fur from trappers that already have an account with NAFA and will also accept their registration number and related information to accommodate trappers as a result of the above mentioned legal issues with NAFA.

For myself personally, THIS SUCKS !!! Because I'm registered with NAFA and there is no local pick up for FHA in my area !

If that wasn't bad enough, I was planning on attending the recently cancelled Sioux Lookout 2020 Rendezvous in August because I'm am a trap vender.

And because the Rendezvous is on a Thursday Friday & Saturday, I also had to book two one week vacation blocks off at work to allow for travel their & back.

And lets not forget about the reduced price of fur these days either !

Due to:
-The embargo against Russia which accounts for between 50 to 55% of the worlds fur buying market, and

-the dirty back room deal made between China & Korea where China buys Koreas required fur quota for one cent above hammer drop at the auction.
Thereby getting all their fur at a reduced price with one less major bidder being present because Korea no longer need to be in attendance !

Lets recap, -I have to change to a different auction houses from where I normally deal,
-There is no local fur puck up station for that auction house in my area,
-Fur prices will be stupid low this year for the reasons mentioned,,
-I waisted two weeks of booked vacation due to the Rendezvous being cancelled,
-I will not be making very much money as a trap vender because the biggest venue in Ontario was cancelled !

Score One for the little woodland critters this season !!!

Last edited:
I used J-clips & plyers the first couple of years till I got tired of hand cramp !

Figured there had to be a better way of building them colony traps so I looked into it and that's what I came up with.

The muskrats don't care about how they look but if your going to sell them, the trappers do !

Earlier today, I called North American Fur Auction house in Toronto to enquire about just what exactly is going on since the info I was getting was a little fuzzy at best.

Turns out that their long term insurer has had a change of heart and abruptly made known that they no longer wish to offer their services to NAFA.

To ad insult to injury, it appears that there is an activist or two within this insurers ranks that's doing everything in their power to toss a wrench into NAFA because of their opposition to trapping.

So much so that this insurer has made attempts to interfere with NAFA's search for another insurer. Hence the legal actions being filed against this insurer.

Given the current legal actions & lack of insurer at this time, NAFA has entered into a protection phase similar to Chapter 11 protection in the USA.
This will buy them time to deal with the above mentioned legal matters.

It's a sad day when some social justice warrior activist can infiltrate an organization with an agenda to shut down Canada's Oldest Continuous Industry. With the intent of destroying a centuries old Canadian tradition !

The North American Fur Auction house (NAFA, was originally known as The Hudson Bay Company and they've been around since the year 1670.

Had it not been for the early fur industry, Canada would not be the Canada we all know it today.

. 2-the-dominion-of-canada-3-638.jpg

( This was the Canadian equivalent to the Louisiana Purchase in the USA ).

Cool history, Eh !

Last edited:
“It's a sad day when some social justice warrior activist can infiltrate an organization with an agenda”...

The name Fiona Hill comes to mind...

Guess some folks feel they can use their position & influence to manipulate others through deceit with no regard to ethics !

CORRECTION:

In an earlier post, I mentioned that the 2020 Trappers Rendezvous in Sioux Lookout, Ontario had been canceled.

I must have misunderstood due to speculations at the meeting last month.

There Is NO Cancelation of the 2020 AGM & Trappers Rendezvous !

This was confirmed after placing a call this week to the Ontario Fur Managers Federation office.

...so my road trip is back on as planned come this August !!!

BTW,
Northern Ontario lakes & rivers offer some of the best fishing !!!
Oh Ya !!!

IMG_0193.JPG

Haven't visited this post for a while so I thought I'd add something.

Here is a pic of a little fellow I caught in a Dog Proof Trap (DP's).

It was a little early in the season and his winter fur wasn't quit "Prime" at the time.

So I let him go, cute little bugger eh !

20141102_133639.jpg

20141102_133559.jpg

Usually they run away once release but this guy just stayed there and stared at me providing a photo op.

Back