angle of the dangle

sotc

Dormant hero!!
can some one help me figure the formula to find the height of a tree with this info? the 90* is the only known angle, distance to trunk and distance to top are only known distances

Pythagoran theory=the square of the hypotheneus is equal to the sum of the other sides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
same thing
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HYHG3fuzvk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HYHG3fuzvk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

say 30 yards to the trunk and 45 yards to the top

Willie, If you have 2 sides and a 90 degree you can always back calculate the 3rd.-Think it through.

been thinking about this for months justin, just dont know how to get there

A^2+B^2=C^2

45 is the hypotenuse, or C. 30 yards is a leg and would be either A or B.

A^2= 30x30= 900
C^2=45x45= 2025

So, we have A and C, so let's get B.

30^2+ B^2=45^2
900 + B^2=2025
B^2=2025-900
B^2=1125
B= Square Root of 1125
B= 33.54yards

Thus the tree is 33.54 yards tall.

thanks carl, might take me a bit to get proficient at it but ill keep that formula in the truck for a while8)

did you just change that? id have swore you said 39.5 and 39.5
give me a sec to do it.

Don't do 39.5 and 39.5, you'll wind up with a triangle that doesn't have a 90* angle (tree would be leaning)and I doubt your ready for the trig.

Plus, I'd have to really think about getting that right. Thus I changed one 39 to 49.

i used a square root calculater online, is there an easy way to find square root?

Don't do 39.5 and 39.5, you'll wind up with a triangle that doesn't have a 90* angle (tree would be leaning)and I doubt your ready for the trig.

Plus, I'd have to really think about getting that right. Thus I changed one 39 to 49.

i thought that would be 39.5 as C would be a 45 degree angle?

Right you are then :)

What about if you know the tree is 45' tall, and you're 45' away from it, how far is it from you to the top of the tree via line of sight?

I use the one on my computer. There isn't an easy way for most folks to do square roots in their head.

The 39.5x39.5 triangle would be something aweful, I'll figure it out while you figure the last problem I gave ya.

The angles in a triangle equal 180, fwiw.

Back