angle of the dangle

Ha no, it's:

A2+B2=C2

Although what you wrote isn't incorrect.

It could also be:
A2=C2-B2

They all are mathmatically equal.

The Pythagorean theorem is what we are using, adapting it to find the leg.

The Pythagorean theorem is:
A2+B2=C2

If you have the legs, then that will find you the hypotenuse.

If you need to find a leg and you have a leg and the hypotenuse, then either:
A2=C2-B2
or
B2=C2-A2

The legs can be either A or B, it doesn't matter which you call what.

Man I put some thought into this & I think I need to go lay down now .....Dang I have let my mind get lazy

anyone have a link for the 'stick trick"? It works on the same principle but you dont need to do any math.

Right-By Creating a small right isoceles triangle we can "nest" it within the larger right triangle of an upright tree's relationship to the ground via line of sight and discover where it will land or how tall it is without calculating the hypotheneus.

I do the stick trick on most trees I fall just to see how close I can get. The ground has to be level and the tree vertical for it to work. Lately I've gotten where I can nail it within about a foot but it took a while to figure out exactly how to hold the stick the same way every time.

Right-By Creating a small eqilateral right triangle...

That cannot exist in this universe:P

You're creating a right triangle with 2 equal legs and a longer hypotenuse. You're sighting along the hipotenuse and what you see along the hypotenuse is what will hit where you're standing give or take the height of your eye compred to the height of the hinge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stick trick works damn accurate for me. Frig all this math.

i use my range finder alot to see what i can reach with he bucket. helps alot with bidding. ever bid that bucket tree only to find you cant quite do it with the bucket and hence underbid it? i have:whine:

i use my range finder alot to see what i can reach with he bucket. helps alot with bidding. ever bid that bucket tree only to find you cant quite do it with the bucket and hence underbid it? i have:whine:

Yes, with my outstanding climbing skills it can really hurt a bid if I end up not reaching.:lol:

started ut as a good reason for the company to buy me a range finder, turned out to be a real good tool for me

Willie, that's where the short hank of bull rope comes in handy so you can hitch the top to itself and just whack it off. As long as you have more space below you than tree above you, you're fine. If you can't reach the top then bring the top to you.
;)

Although I did break a 3/4" rope recently doing this. Was right next to a 100' tall pine tree and tried to catch the top. At 60' it was about 15" diameter and the 40' of top was very full. It came over, the rope stretched, the stem bent, the rope stretched some more and then POP!

thats the trick of yours that saved me a few weeks back;) i now carry a short hank (when my guys dont take it out) in the control box

It hit the electric service line running to the house from the pole and broke the ground wire. Luckily the energized wires were still attached.

Back