angle of the dangle

That cannot exist in this universe:P

You're creating a right triangle with 2 equal legs and a longer hypotenuse. You're sighting along the hipotenuse and what you see along the hypotenuse is what will hit where you're standing give or take the height of your eye compred to the height of the hinge.

You are correct-I should have said Right Isosceles triangle.

If you wanted to get technical, could put an inclinometer on the rangefinder and calculate height on leaners or on un-level ground using sine or tangent functions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
haha! think he missed the "simple" part of my request:lol:

Chip, There was no need to introduce foul language into this thread.

They banned me from AS for inappropriate language... I guess I'm on thin ice... I'll refrain from further discussion of trig functions... please accept my apology. :cry:

Clino and a 75-100' loggers tape, with help from a pocket calculator...I can give you the height of any tree I can see the top of, no matter the slope, to within a couple percent.

Basic forestry measurement technique.

Don't listen to Squish :D.

Sure, I can tell...do you have a clino that reads in percent slope up into the 150+% range?

I've posted this before and no one seemed to have the required instrument.

Paulie, I have to run right now, but I'll get back to this today I hope, and walk you through the methodology. It's child's play.

cool, ive looked at those for years and didnt know how they worked

i always figured i could put an inclinometer on the rangefinder and calculate height on leaners or on un-level ground using sine or tangent functions.
:P

OK, kids...here's how it works. All this takes far more time to write out than to do, and it's easier than it sounds by a long shot.

We'll start with the simplest example, flat ground. Pin your logger's tape into the face of the tree at your eye height (you DO have a long horseshoe nail bent onto the loop at the end of your tape, don't you? :) ) Back away from the tree until you can see the top. This is easy with excurrent form trees. With decurrent form mistakes are made by misjudging a side of the crown for the highest point...so be careful with the hardwoods. The farther away you get, the more accurate you are likely to be. Note the distance you are from the tree.

Now use the clino to read the percent slope from your position to the top in percent slope. Keep both eyes open so you can see both the scale in the instrument and the top of the tree simultaneously. In the model Suunto we mentioned the percent scale is on the right side and the degree is on the left. Note the percent slope.

Multiply the distance by the percent...say you are 82 feet away from the tree and you get 48%: 82 x 0.48 = 39.36 feet

Almost there, just add the height of your eye above ground, which should be the same as the height you pinned your tape to the tree...39.36 + 5.5 feet (for me) = 44.86 Easy peasy.

This is the approximate height of the tree, mighty darn close if you are careful and accurate with your measurement and instrument use.

Advanced lesson :D.

On ground where the base of the tree is above your eye level you need to find the distance from the BASE (if you want to eliminate the addition of the eye height like you did before, but you can do it the same if you like) to the point where you can see the top with your tape. Note it. (With most locations you can figure a way to keep the slope distance you are measuring close enough to level that you can get the tape level by lifting your end to get a near level distance measurement. If not then you have to get into corrections for slope distance. Let's dodge that one for now. Carl can teach us how to figure it :))

Read the percent slope from level, which is of course 0% (this will be into the slope below the tree somewhere) to the base of the tree. Note it.

Read the percent slope to the top of the tree. Note it.

Subtract the percent below the base from the total percent and calculate as before. Say you note that level is 15% below the base, and the percent to the top from your location is 65%. Subtract 15 from 65, get 50%.

If your distance was 94 feet, multiply that by 0.50 and get 47 feet for the tree height.

Advanced lesson #2 :\:.

If the tree base is down the hill from the position where you can see the top, you measure a distance on the level again...this will be somewhere up on the trunk above the ground. Let's say you get 81 feet. Note it.

Read percent slope from that point on the trunk (at 0 percent) to the base...this will be a negative percent on the scale, but no matter, ignore that. Note it.

Read the percent slope to the top of the tree. Note it.

Add these last two numbers together, ignoring the negative aspect of the first value. If you got -12% from level to the base and 44% from level to the top, add 12 + 44 = 56%. Then multiply total percent slope times distance for tree height: 0.56 x 81 = 45.36 feet tree height.

Nothin' to it ;).

Or, just toss the top before throwing the tree. ;)

You can sure do that, Butch...but a half minutes' work might tell you that you have room to just fell it with no climbing involved, and get you home quicker with money made easier in your pocket.
;)

Or keep you from making a bad mistake and turning the day into a money looser :cry:. You can use this technique to figure how high you need to go to throw the top into a small space safely, too.

Back