Analyze this stump...!!

Tongue and Groove, as already stated.

Here's Ekka's vid I found on youtube.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLkgWFh9lDs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLkgWFh9lDs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A metal splitting wedge and a claw Hammer? WTF? He gives opposable thumbed life forms a bad name.

It's for smaller-diameter stuff, and let's you wedge through the tree. Not used very much; I've done it maybe 10 or 15 times in 20 years. There's other ways. No, you wouldn't use it on a head-leaner.

Something to put in the mental toolbox.

Dave, this is about the only time a metal wedge would be acceptable, especially a narrow aluminum one.

I'd rather my 3lb sledge, myself, though.

Yeah, but that's splitting wedge, not a metal felling wedge. And I know you use what you've got on hand, but if you're going to show the entire online universe, get some tools together.

The splitting wedge is narrower and taller; hence, why you'd actually want to use it in this case, as the saw isn't cutting near it anyways.

Really, if it's small enough to use that technique, a felling bar should work dandy.

The splitting wedge is narrower and taller; hence, why you'd actually want to use it in this case, as the saw isn't cutting near it anyways.
Well actually I found a steel wedge a few years ago .----Exactly where I had left it ,in the middle of a red oak round .:( Little hard on the chain .

Ha, no I did it all by my lonesome ,can't blame anybody but myself .

Now by golly I did make some wedges though .Cut them out of nylon 66 one night at work on a horizontal bandsaw .

Maybe I could send one to Ek to drop those killer palms .:lol:

Well ,my departed pappy told of using oak wedges during the 30's .

They whip sawed the trees and split the whole thing .They started the cracks with steel wedges then pounded in oak and split them into smaller chunks to feed through a buzz saw powered by a John -Deere A .

A lot of work I'm sure but it keep them from freezing to death by the firewood they got .

Fence rails, and even framing lumber, "scantlings", were split using a steel wedge, and gluts. A glut is just a hardwood wedge. I have one that has a handforged metal covering. The ring is missing on the end. If I can find it, I'll post a pic.

Back