Unusual stumps

I think Rich has the most plausible explanation. Maybe they only had a short bar and didn't want to double cut from the downhill side?

Perhaps the feller isn't the expert we assume. Perhaps his trees fall in the intended lay in spite of his methods rather than because of them. Perhaps he had a tree pull sideways into the road once, so therefore he began gutting away the holding wood on the street side to prevent that from happening again. Most of us know that can be accomplished with just a snipe cut, but whatever works I guess.

Maybe they had a new guy who wanted to fall them over the road, but was told to change directions after making a face cut.

I'm with Burnham on this.
Looks like the roadside cut was made after the fall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But what would be the point? One stump, you might have an oddball scenario, but 5 of them seems like there’s a Method. The undersized bar theory doesn’t seem like a good explanation either, as these stumps weren’t any bigger than their neighbours really, and the chunk on one of them doesn’t even look like it would allow the power head to really get in there.

I would bet that he just didn't want to do the low side, and he figured just cutting a notch to remove what his bar couldn't reach would be the laziest way. Cutting that high he is clearly only concerned about getting it down safely, so the risks and effort to cut overhead/ springboard or something were simply not worth it, and he correctly assumed he had enough hinge to still control the tree. By cutting the notch out it will allow the tree to commit to the lay where a single cut wouldn't.

Eureka, he cried.

The noob turned up thought, easy job and gobbed them all towards the road. His boss was passing whilst going to another job and stopped to shout at the fuddnut!

“Don’t send them to the road, think of the poor asphalt! Plus they will shatter and we have to clean that shit up!”

So the youngun send them sideways and they were back at the yard for biscuits and gravy by dinner time.

To avoid cutting the hinge nicely by the far-side, no need of a notch, just a kerf is well enough.
Beside domino falling, who makes all the notches and then starts falling?

I saw a vid from a logger (who?) using this special cut for a special case. No idea if this is relevant here though, or done correctly. The purpose was to avoid a stump sitting just in the intended lay. With this cut, he made the trunk's butt slides to its own stump's side instead of its front like usual, so the trunk shifted lateraly enough to clear the annoying stump, while he managed to keep the precise wanted aim.

The slope of the lateral notch made me think to that.

Last edited:
I've trimmed the sides of stumps like that so many times, and on the same layout too.

Sometimes just to keep a tight lead going, you know?

Sometimes just to keep a tree from deflecting off a stump and landing some place you don't want it.

Probably most often of all... in my experience to keep a good tree from breaking over a stump just ahead of it!
Believe me the sharp edge of a fresh cut stump can cleave off the whole side of a beautiful tree you fall. Boss's don't like that!

Lots of reasons to shave a stump like that. It's an old faller's trick.

Thanks Jerry. A relevant detail I should add is that the trees in this particular area were mostly salvaged and sent to the mill.

value recovery would have been a higher priority than clearing out burnt out and broken trees in a hurry.

I figured as much. Having fell in similar layouts.

I called them Islands and peninsulas. Strips of timber running between road cuts on a slope. Sometimes between powerlines and roads. Sometimes private property, powerlines and roads.

Threading the needle. Keep it in the narrow. Don't block the roads! And try to make a living at the same time.

I miss those days.

Perhaps short bar, and/or maybe
just trys to pull to that s(l)ide by weight hanging off that side w/o support compared to rest of stump.
Fresh kill easier to see compression and tension patches type signatures in hinge for weight bearing axis/clues.
Much extra cutting if just for Dutching(instead of ramping just in strike pad of facing), and then used too often on what should be last resort type strategy IMHO.
If CoG balanced to fall (or even over to that side a bit), making Tapered Hinge(and thus so also same for going for Dutch Swing) less effective; as not so much fighting to an opposing side lean where Tapered Hinge really allowed to shine.
Reduced length of hinge across reducing leverage to Tapered for pulls even into Dutching, especially if trying for swinger after face close on opposing side as push, no strong tapered pull in unison.
Then, perhaps this offset favored over tapered locally by sawyer.
Slide to side/roll some is less of a direct hit too, after thread that needle forward.
If just one might think was still on stump after fall, and rolled off to side, but this seems a falling, not bucking style.
>>seems used enough not to be just specialty, but generic solution for them.
Or practicing new cut over and over..

Last edited:
Back