aluminum snap on cougar saddle?

That's your anchor on your bridge?

I would say the bend radius is pretty tight and you might consider using a roller, pulley or tandem instead. Especially given the circumstances surrounding a few of the documented failures of cougar bridges.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was using a master clasic and just snaped to the front D ring and used a blakes. I just recieved my cougar and was wondering the best way to anchor to the bridge. I still want to climb on the blakes.
Thanks for the help.

I would suggest a pulley with smooth rounded edges.... I did the CMI micro pulley that I use as a tender and did not like how it looked it might wear the rope bridge. So I bought another Hitchclimber so I have multiple attachment points. A DMM pinto would work as well... Key is the rounded smooth edges.

attachment.php

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?14173-Weaver-Cougar-Size-Small&p=498975&viewfull=1#post498975

I would suggest buying a Treemotion :) my cougar hangs sadly in my shop.

yeah, yeah...you don't have the butt for a TM man ;) I do ;P

Funny I read this because I just used my new Weaver Cougar for the 1st time today. Like Stephen I use a pulley too. Mine's a CMI mouse micro pulley with 2 holes where I attach my 2 biners attached to a Blakes splittail and spliced end of my rope.
I really like this quality saddle and the price well under $300 is also amazing. I've looked at the TM and other fancy saddles devoloped by "pro climbers" and to me they honestly look like junk with features I would never use.
I like the story about the Weaver Cougar being hand built by Amish craftsmen from Ohio.:lol:

Very responsive with the pulley eh? ;)
Very smooth. I don't miss those 2 nylon biner rollers I used on the flat bridge of my 11 yr old Bucky Traverse as my avator shows. When I first looked at this cougar at my Vermeer dealer I wasn't interested in it. I guess the low price put me off. The salesmen said try it on. He had a dynamic rope with biners and splittail permanently attached to the ceiling. After doing a little footlock with the Cougar I threw him my Mastercard.

I think another saddle I would like to own would be the Tree Austria. I do like webbed bridges. Again I would then have to solve the multiple attachment issue. Dunno... Gotta try it and see.. Almost 400.00 as well.
The Cougar was a good alternative from my Weaver floating Ds. Familiar tool loops and feel with a rope bridge that is more responsive when pruning or rigging. Price was nice. I got lucky buying mine from Mike here on the forum.

Just keep an eye on the wear from the pulley. The mickey pulley is not of smooth of edge as the HC.

I've looked at the TM and other fancy saddles devoloped by "pro climbers" and to me they honestly look like junk with features I would never use.

I'm with you on that one, brother.

Are you still using your Weaver, Butch? I recently acquired a Weaver Floating-D....I like it, but it's different, after 26 years of climbing on 4-d's.....

I got the one with the single sliding D, and I use a Petzl William carabiner with the HDPE roller. I left the D on for the odd times I need a second anchor point.

I have a leg strap Weaver floating dee and a Buckingham Versatile. I prefer the Weaver. I haven't used a 4 dee since the late 70's, early 80's.

Funny I read this because I just used my new Weaver Cougar for the 1st time today. Like Stephen I use a pulley too. Mine's a CMI mouse micro pulley with 2 holes where I attach my 2 biners attached to a Blakes splittail and spliced end of my rope.
I really like this quality saddle and the price well under $300 is also amazing. I've looked at the TM and other fancy saddles devoloped by "pro climbers" and to me they honestly look like junk with features I would never use.
I like the story about the Weaver Cougar being hand built by Amish craftsmen from Ohio.:lol:

ha ha ha...they are not built by Amish craftsman, I have a cougar and thought it was the greatest thing ever, until i tried other saddles, IMO, it ranks just above the weaver buttstrap in terms of comfort.

I too thought the Treemotion was over priced junk, mine is almost a year old now, has been used hard and shows no sign of real wear :) It is by far and away, the most comfortable saddle that I have ever used, for all applications, that says a lot.

for shits and giggles, wore the cougar on a tree last week, after 5 min, came down and swapped for the TM.

you can't be like I was and bash it without trying it, I had to eat some huge crow and that one ;) With 3 or more broken bridges and climbers falling, weaver does not have their collective shit together on this one...

But it boils down to how you climb in the end, I'm like an ADHD spider monkey , and the TM with it's increased mobility and comfort in any position suits my style of climbing. If you don't need the max in freedom and mobility/positioning, then a TM is not worth the $$.

But I specialize in tree care, not removals, so I likes it jest fine :) ;)

With 3 or more broken bridges and climbers falling, weaver does not have their collective shit together on this one...

Much more responsibility lies with the individual climber than the manufacturer. High mod bridges are not a good idea, and if used need DAILY inspection, and frequent replacement. It is up to the user to understand the limitations of the equipment they purchased on their own.
Gear does wear out, some quicker than others.

My Weaver has the steel D's, but their newer ones have aluminum D's, which I have a harder time trusting. Silly I know, but the little corners on those aluminum D's are somewhat smaller than the material in a carabiner, and is not so gentle a curvature either. The new aluminum side D's have two bars through which the webbing runs, yielding them much more trustworthy, but the one(s) out on the bridge, well there's just one small lunium bar holding your weight, plus your gear's weight in the tree.

I likes me cougar just fine. Though I'm sure I'd like to spend $700 on a saddle that allows me to do fundamentally the same thing, but more ergonomically. I put a batten seat on mine, though, which makes it super comfy, IMO. Only thing I want to do is buy some suspenders that would fit for carrying larger saws aloft.

I've yet to try out a TM, but I'd like to. For now, however, I have a saddle that works just fine. While everyone should tune their systems into exactly the way they want, a good climber should be able to strap on a floating D $200 weaver and kick ass just as well as with a $700 TM.

Much more responsibility lies with the individual climber than the manufacturer. High mod bridges are not a good idea, and if used need DAILY inspection, and frequent replacement. It is up to the user to understand the limitations of the equipment they purchased on their own.
Gear does wear out, some quicker than others.

Dave, you'd have made one shitty litigation lawyer.

Bet that is about the nicest thing anyone has said to you this week?:D

Back