ALTERNATIVE tree climbing methods - ANCIENT / old preferred

This is an amazing thread, I've only skimmed it so far, just wanted to say that coconut tree climber from India was a highly skilled mofo. That was cool to watch. He looked very used to doing it, kinda like a good tree climber around these parts doing his job, workaday. And lots of skill with that badass machete aloft and on ground. And a cool machete holder on his belt.

Becket bend, ...

... Sheet Bend. ...

Becket bend => Sheet Bend => Flip-line Hitch

I still use the Flip-line Hitch, occasionally. It's useful for wire-core lanyards when working 'pitchy' trees where a friction hitch or rope grab might get stuck.

ref: The Tree Climber's Companion, Jepson, 2nd ed., p39

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f2BHQCFvpbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

... gonna have to try this someday ... :|:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HIYDXjJUV-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That Samoan climber was GOOD...I thought SRT was fast. He wins hands down. Good find.

When we were little, we'd free climb 30-40 feet up a coconut tree, then yell for our mom... The look of horror when she looked up and saw us clinging to the fronds, was always a constant source of amusement for us.

My 7-month old son is paying me back for that now...

When I started with Davey in '67, they taught us to shinny up trees. Of course you did not mess with being tied in until you got up into the branches a ways. It is very rare that you see this done any more. It was handy to get up skinny stems to prune.

Wow. I started 10 years later and we didn't even use lanyards. We just held on to the tree and climbed.

No wonder people frequently ask if I've ever fallen out of a tree, big companies with free climbing as SOP.

I never quite know what to say to people when they say something like Don't Fall or Don't Cut Yourself. Because they are customers, I can't say things like Don't Stick an icepick in your ear.

My favourite is "watch out for the clothes line" when I'm looking at a job, I must have heard it a thousand times.

They trust me to do the tree ok but think I'm going to walk into one of these.:roll:

Supa-A5-300x250.jpg

Sean, why does it bother you when a customer tells you to be careful? Is it that they are being dumb to be specific? Seems like a fair reminder to me, better than saying hurry up. I tell tree guys to be careful all the time.

I get the: "You're in shape" comment, a lot. But, most often, I get; "While your here ... " :roll:

I've gotten, "i wouldn't expect an American to be doing this type of work". Sad to have diminished their conception that all the people from over there are rich and famous out of Hollywood and never get their hands dirty. I mean being close to Mexico and everything. I usually say, "Cause I hate teaching English".

The comment I enjoy the most is: "How the hell did you get that rope up there?" :lol:

Sean, why does it bother you when a customer tells you to be careful? Is it that they are being dumb to be specific? Seems like a fair reminder to me, better than saying hurry up. I tell tree guys to be careful all the time.

Think about if I came into your shop, needing your years of experience and talent and you were going to make a cut on your table saw, what would you think if I said, " don't cut your fingers off."?

Back