airwaves

Legal or not, it seems that Skwerl had to do some dancing around to get the guy to start thinking about the neighbors. C'mon dude, show a little interest in someone being inconvenienced...would probably be my take.

Knocking on the window may be regarded as some infringement, but on the other hand, if someone gets stressed by what you are doing, they might just go knock on windows, or bang on walls, or grab a shotgun. There is a chain of evolution working.

I am Old ... one of my main rules is ....If you pull a weapon out you best be ready to use it ... I'm coming towards you .... not running away ....

First you have to puncture his tires so he can't make an escape, and wait until his family is out of the house. Can't be injuring innocent people.

He probably meant 2 watts.

As one educated in radio, one thought would be if his antenna isn't grounded and tuned properly, a lot of interference will be had as well. However, even if it wasn't, it'd still take more than 4 watts to create that much grief.

Most of my neighbors know nothing of my nightly QSO's to the far corners of the globe at over 1kW of power. Right now I'm listening to a gentleman from Russia on 80 meter CW chatting with a guy in Honduras.

Well Butch, I've never really seen the appeal in smoking grass, either, but to each their own. At least I can sell my gear when I'm done using it. ;)

It isn't just the communicating part..or lisening in...most hams enjoy the equipment. I'm speculating here.

Butch, everyone has their hobbies... the things they do because it pleases them. =)

There is nothing like the rush of talking to someone from the other side of the globe over the airwaves!
I still get a kick out of the guys running 1/2 and 1/4 watts doing a shootout. I keep saying I will get my license, just dont!
It's not fo everyone Butch, but it is a neat experiance! I guess the net has taken away a lot of the stigma.

The internet is far superior to the airwaves. Hell, if talking is that much of a rush you can do THAT too on a computer.

I still don't get it. It's merely a low tech internet. Frig low tech, I'm a modern kinda guy.

A lot of the technology that's used in your modern world was developed by ham operators, butch.

Try using your internet with all the lines gone, and no power. ;) I can still communicate with my laptop and my mobile rig using Packet. Wanna guess who was still able to communicate after the hurricanes? Hams. I handled a lot of NTS traffic going into New Orleans after the Katrina.

Hams were using digital communications in the late 1800's.

But this was WELL before the net!!
Hell, I was on a radio talking around the world before there was a decent BBS system setup! DOS was king, and I talked to Austrailia on a CB sitting in a wheat field, in my truck!

N.P.R. , recently aired a piece where a young HAM operator actually recieved and transcribed what was apparently Emelia Ehrhardt's last transmissions...

I had a CB in my truck through the 90's. Had a matchmeter on it but never got around to the amp.
I still have the unit and the antenna, just no cable, had to cut it to get it out of the vehicle quick when I sold it.

I also have a handheld CB with 9' antenna, weather channels and stuff, takes like 8 double A's though...

No it's not for everybody of course . Not my bag although I did run the mobile CB unit back in the day .

Some HAM operaters still transmit using code ,now that really is "old School " .I can't hardly remember the stuff myself but one of my military tests required me to send and recieve I think 8 words a minute .How I ever passed it ,heaven only knows but I did .

Some where in my pile of books I have bunch of scimatics for building radio sets ,of course using tubes because of the age of them .Anything you could possibly think of ,single side band ,parabolic antenias etc .

When the big satalite recievers first came out I was tempted to built a big reciever until I found out what the price of a klystrom tube cost . Now days it's just as simple to pay for the cable service .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's kept it turned down most of the time. And hopefully by now he's figured out that I'm not the only neighbor that gets hammered by his radio when he turns it up. I still haven't gotten a reply from my complaint to the FCC.

We used to have all the vehicles (including one of the tractors) hooked up with CBs. As soon as I had an option to use a cell phone instead, I did.

I have found though that talking with a microphone is for some reason less distracting to me in traffic than talking on a cell. With a real phone, I'm afraid I've had to start pulling over to talk....

We've still got the map on the wall with the little pins showing where the contacts were made. Al, I haven't heard talk of 'skip' for ages.....ha!

Good for you, Brian! Sounds like you really made an effort. Maybe not the best outcome, but a whole lot better if you'd staged warfare and had to be living with the consequences now. If the guys waving a gun around like that in the neighborhood, sounds like he's got some issues....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stupid Butch had to bring this back up. :roll: I was listening to my favorite radio station streaming on the internet (about 1/4 the commercials) and all of a sudden the neighbor guy starts jabbering on his CB with his sing-song rap crap and the power turned way up. So I turned off the computer speakers and I'm back to listening to radio commercials. :(

Back